SO461 Lab, Fall 2008
Marine Magnetics and Plate Rotations Lab
You should run the "Update_PC" batch file on the J
drive before proceeding.
You will turn in the answers to the questions below, which will
be graded pas/fail. This material will be
testable on both Test 2 and the Final exam.
The MICRODEM help file has detailed directions, and associated
links. This is under Tutorials and labs, Plate Tectonics, Introduction to plate
- What happens when you rotate about the north geographic pole?
- What happens when you rotate about the south geographic pole?
- What is the difference between rotating a positive and a negative angle?
- What happens when you rotate about a point on the equator?
- What happens when you rotate about a point within the continent?
- What mathematical convention governs the rotation pole and
direction? (Note that there are two rotation poles
possible; which do we use?)
- Where on the plate will there be the fastest and slowest motions?
Which rotation above helped you to see that?
- What Euler pole works best to rotate Africa back to South America?
- What Euler pole works best to rotate South America back to Africa?
- What Euler pole works best to rotate North America back to Africa?
- Which pair has a faster angular rate of rotation?
- What continent moves the
- What is the difference between the two models?