SO461, Fall 2003
Writing Exercise Three
This exercise will be due Wed 12 Nov.
You will go to the library, and find a paper in the journal Geology published by the Geological Society of America. You can also do this online.
- Published in 2003.
- Concerns marine geology or oceanography.
- These are 3-4 page papers with a minimum of technical jargon.
From the references in the paper, you will find another paper in the library.
You will write a 1-2 page discussion of the paper that answers the following questions:
- What data did they use, and how was the data collected?
- What conclusions did they reach from this data?
- Why was this research important?
- How did the second paper contribute to the research in your first paper?
- You will have a references cited with the paper listed in the correct format (questions, see the department style manual on the web).
- Writing quality is important.
- This is individual work.
The following aspects of scientific writing should be followed especially closely: