SO461 Lab, Spring 2013
You will prepare a Word document with appropriate tables and figures to summarize your results.
- Include a location map to show where these cruises went.
- Determine how the overall sedimentation rates (m/Ma) vary among these
- Determine how the sedimentation rates (m/Ma) vary as a function of depth
in each hole,.
- Determine how the P wave sound velocity changes with depth.
General pages on the DSDP/ODP databases
Data. You can get data for an entire Leg, or each site
individually. In MICRODEM it will be easy to view the results by hole;
that might be harder to manipulate in Excel.
- Save the output from the web server as a text file, and do some
preliminary clean up. The columns are separated with tabs, which are
not visible; be careful not do delete any of them.
Other than a single line
(row) with column headers, remove any extraneous lines at the beginning
of the file.
Remove any blank lines
in the middle of the file.
any extraneous lines at
the end of the file.
- Obtain Depth-Age Models for the following ODP holes: Leg 190 (sites
1173 to 1178) and Leg 165 (Sites 998 to 1002).
- Age depth models at:
- If you have multiple Age Models, use the later or more complete
(Initial Reports come after the Shipboard determinations, and Final
Reports come last.
- Plot the data for each hole (age versus depth).
- Compute the sedimentation rate for each linear segment you see in
the data. This will be in m/Ma.
- Obtain PWS3 P-wave velocity data from all of Legs 165 and 190.
Excel tips. See especially
the directions on
ASCII text file.
- You will probably not be able to compute a single rate for each hole, as
it probably varies with depth.