SO503 In Class Exercise 1, Spring 2016
We have two data files, from the
2.1 database, which was a European Union
project to gather climate data from ship log books. These two files
contain extracts from the data base for a Dutch ship.
- Winds as reported daily in the ship's
- Ship velocity as reported from the
differences in daily position, generally at noon, in the logbooks.
You can do any preparation and manipulation of the two data files in any
program you want (Excel, Word, or Notepad).
Produce the following in Matlab:
- "Map" showing the route of the ship. This does not have to be very
pretty (just a plot of Lat versus Long), but if you have time, you can get
try to get a nice map with Matlab.
- Sticks/tadpole plot of the observed winds and the ship velocity for the
entire period covered by the log. You can either put these on the same
plot, or make two plots and place them one above the other so they can be
- An improved version of the sticks plot that better shows the underway time.
- A table with the wind speeds above 19 knots, showing the location, date,
and the wind vector components.
- Diagram(s) showing the correlation between latitude and wind speed, and
longitude and wind speed, with the computed correlation coefficients.
- Paste the graphics and table into Word
- Acknowledgments section regretting that this is entirely your own work,
and that you miss the help of your classmates
- Append you m-file.
If you have to, make and document any assumptions you need to proceed.