SO503 Spring 2003
5 at 4 points each 20 __________
4 at 20 points each 80 __________
Total 100 __________
Definitions: answer with no more than a single sentence.
Short Answer: The questions should be answered with one or two good paragraphs. They should show thought, and understanding of the concepts involved. There are fewer questions, so each should show more effort.
Definitions: Define 5 of the following 9 terms with one or two complete sentences.
· Nyquist sampling frequency:
· Roche moutonee:
· Multi beam bathymetry:
· Negative correlation:
· Two byte integer:
· Active sensor:
· Geosynchronous orbit:
Short Answer. Answer 4 of the 5 short answer questions on these pages.
1. What does this diagram from EOS show, and how was the data collected? Insure that you cover exactly what the two axes show.
2. What does this graph from EOS show?
· Why is the vertical scale on one of the graphs reversed?
· Can you think of a statistical test you could run on this data, how you would set it up, and what it would show?
3. This figure is from the Ocean Circulation book used in SO231. It shows the results of an FFT analysis. Explain how that analysis works, and what this diagram shows. What might limit the periods computed to less than 48 hours?
4. You are tasked to design a spy satellite. Discuss
· How the S/N ratio (signal to noise) affects the decision on what resolution to seek, the number and location of spectral bounds.
· How the computer processing required will be affected by your selection of bands and resolution.
5. What does a chi-squared test tell how? How do you set it up, and how do you evaluate the results?