CDR Rich Downey
I'm a Permanent Military Professor in the Physics Department at the Naval Academy. Before arriving here, I served in the following capacities.
- Student, Naval Postgraduate School Monterey, CA (PhD in applied physics)
- Maintenance Officer, Patrol/Reconnaissance Wing TWO Kaneohe, HI (supervised aviation maintenance for four P-3C squadrons)
- Pilot and Department Head, Special Projects Patrol Squadron TWO Kaneohe, HI
- Aircraft Launch & Recovery Equipment Officer ("Shooter"), USS KITTY HAWK CV-63 Yokosuka, Japan
- NROTC instructor, NROTCU University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (taught Intro to Naval Science and Sea Power & Maritime Affairs)
- Pilot and Division Officer, Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron TWO Rota, Spain
- Replacement Pilot, Patrol Squadron THIRTY, Jacksonville, FL
- Student Naval Aviator: Pensacola, FL, Corpus Christi, TX, Meridian, MS
My commissioning source was NROTC.
- 2013 Ph.D. Applied Physics, Naval Postgraduate School
- 2003 M.S. Physics, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- 1994 B.S. Physics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology