Weapons, Robotics, and Control Engineering
CAPT Tracie A. Severson
Cyber-Physical Systems, Multi-Agent Systems
Education & Training
- Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering, University of Maryland College Park, 2013
- M.S. in Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan Ann Arbor, 1996
- B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, United States Naval Academy, 1995
- Permanent Military Professor, United States Naval Academy, 2013-Present
- Associate Chair, Dept. of Weapons and Systems Engineering, 2014-2016
- Office of Naval Research, Program Manager, Integrated Air and Missile Defense, 2009-2010
- Missile Defense Agency, Division Head, Battle Management Command and Control, Missile, 2006-2009
- Engineering Duty Officer School, Course Director 2003-2006
- Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center San Diego, Acquisition Program Manager, 2001-2003
- Commander Destroyer Squadron TWENTY-THREE, Training Officer, 1999-2001
- USS HARPERS FERRY (LSD-49), Combat Information Center Officer, 1997-1999
- Surface Warfare Officer
- Engineering Duty Officer
- Defense Acquisition Corps Member
- Defense Acquisition Career Field Certification: System Engineering (L3)
- Defense Acquisition Career Field Certification: Program management (L3)
Honors and Awards
- AFCEA/U.S. Naval Institute Copernicus Award, 2009
- Missile Defense Agency (MDA) Individual Award for Systems Engineering, 2008
- Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Executive Director Award, 2003
- Surface Warfare Officer School Admiral Arleigh Burke Award, 1996
- T. A. Severson, E. J. Rodriguez-Seda, B. Croteau, K. Kiriakidis, R. Robucci, and C. Patel, “Trust-based Consensus and Self-triggered Networked Control of Cyber-Physical Systems: A Framework for Resilience to Sensor Attacks”, Control Engineering Practice, Control Engineering Practice, vol. 101, August 2020, 104509.
- B. Croteau, R. Robucci, C.n Patel, N. Banerjee, K. Kiriakidis, T. Severson, and E. Rodríguez-Seda, “Alternative Actuation Paths for Ship Applications in the Presence of Cyber-Attacks,” in Proc. Resilience Week, San Antonio, TX, Nov. 2019, pp. 91-97.
- G. Gilliam and T. A. Severson, “Geolocation of Pulses Using Bispherical Coordinates and Multiple Omnidirectional Receivers,” in Proc. ION 2019 Pacific PNT Conference, Honolulu, HI, April 2019, pp. 160-170.
- T. Severson, E. Rodriguez-Seda, K. Kiriakidis, B. Croteau , D. Krishnankutty, R. Robucci, C. Patel, and N. Banerjee, “Trust-Based Framework for Resilience to Sensor-Targeted Attacks in Cyber-Physical Systems,” in Proceedings of the 2018 American Control Conference, 27-29 June 2018, pages 6499-6505.
- B. Croteau, D. Krishnankutty, K. Kiriakidis, T. A. Severson, C. Patel, R. Robucci, E.J. Rodriguez-Seda, and N. Banerjee, “Cross-Level Detection Framework for Attacks on Cyber-Physical Systems”, Journal of Hardware and Systems Security, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 356-369, Dec. 2017.
- B. Croteau , D. Krishnankutty, R. Robucci, C. Patel, N. Banerjee, K. Kiriakidis, T. Severson, and E. J. Rodriguez-Seda, “Cross-level Detection of Sensor-based Deception Attacks on Cyber-Physical Systems,” in Proceedings of the 7th Annual International Conference on Cyber Technology in Automation, Control, and Intelligent Systems, Honolulu, Hawaii, August 2017.
- E. J. Rodriguez-Seda, T. Severson, and K. Kiriakidis, “Recovery after attacks of deception on Networked Control Systems,” in Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Resilient Control Systems, Chicago, Illinois, August 2016, pp. 109–114.
- K. Kiriakidis, T. Severson, and B. Connett, “Detecting and isolating attacks of deception in networked control systems,” in Proceedings of 13th IEEE International Conference on Autonomic Computing, Wuerzburg, Germany, July 2016.
- S. Lacinski, T. Lim, T. Severson, “Multiple Sensor Correlation and Discrimination of Closely Spaced Objects on a Ballistic Trajectory,” in Proceedings of AIAA Missile Sciences Conference, AIAA Defense and Security Forum 2015, Laurel, MD, 10-12 March 2015.
- T. Severson and K. Kiriakidis, “Entropy-based Optimization for Sensor Selection and Placement,” in Proceedings of 10th IMA Conference on Mathematics in Signal Processing, Birmingham, UK, December 2014.
- T. A. Severson and D. A. Paley, “Optimal Sensor Coordination for Multi-target Search and Track Assignment”, IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Volume 50, Issue 3, July 2014, pages 2313-2320.
- T. A. Severson and D. A. Paley, “Distributed Multi-Target Search and Track
Assignment with Consensus-Based Coordination,” in IEEE Sensors Journal, Volume 15, Issue 2, Feb 2015, pages 864-875.