Line of Sight/Topographic Profile
LOS Example and Uses--in
earth science, "topographic profile" or "cross section" is the correct terminology.
Line of sight is for military or radio/radar applications concerned with
- DEM must be loaded and assigned to
- Start with:
- Move mouse on map and double click to select
observer's location, which will be on the left side of the profile. Coordinates and elevation of the
mouse are displayed at the bottom of the map. Verifying point selection
may be advisable, and is set on the
Coordinates tab of
options menu. LOS
requires at least "reasonable" to trigger point
- Move mouse pointer. A reverse video line connects the
observer location to the target location. Double
click on the desired target location. Verifying point selection
may also apply here.
- If you have a long profile, the program will verify if you really want
to use vertical earth curvature. Say No for just a topographic
- A new LOS window displays the graphical line of sight.
LOS Right click options--analysis options, including turning LOS into topographic
File menu options:
- Open profile database: this has the coordinates, and distance along the
profile, of the points used to draw the profile.
- Edit image
- Save image
- Copy to clipboard
Last revision 11/16/2014