The Icon composer was initially developed for military symbols (military
TrueType™ fonts from Major Tom Mouat at www.mapsymbs.com), but has now
been extended for other applications such as Disaster Response Map Symbols (DRMS) .
You can select any True Type font on the computer (such as the mapping
fonts from ESRI if you have any Arc products loaded).
This icon composer can be accessed:
- Map annotation from map toolbar, and then icon on popup
menu. The locations are stored in a
file, and can be recalled for later display on the same or a different map.
These icons are stored in a DBF file in
\MapData\MD-PROJ\MILICONS directory. They can be recalled
with the Overlay
vector data from the map toolbar. They can be edited (dragged to a new location) or deleted by selecting the
Edit, Military Icons menu choice.
- File menu,
Tools submenu. Create
icons and save them.
- Create Unit Icons on Edit button
popup menu on database
- Close: close form.
- Symbol to clipboard: copies the symbol in the
upper right as a bitmap to the clipboard.
- Save to file: save the symbol in the upper right
as a JPG, GIF, or BMP graphics file. Save to \mapdata\icons,
and you can use the symbol for
- Font: Pick font for the text and symbols. The
font name, point size, color, and bold/no bold
will be applied.
- Military 0-width fonts: allows overprinting of
multiple symbols, and are used for the unit size.
- Large font samples: You have a choice for two sizes for
the font samples on the left.
- Show military land symbols
- Show naval symbols
- Show military air symbols
- Multiple icons: this can be used to create a number of
icons from a database (Create unit icons menu choice from the
- Help: display this help topic.
Any true type font provides these options on the right.
Put text around
Change size of text, symbol
Change color of text, symbol
Changing any parameter will change the sample drawing in
the upper right corner.
Adds the following controls:
- Unit size
- Symbol fill color
- Select tab to pick different font. Switching to an air or sea
unit disables the unit size radio buttons. Switching to another font
disables color fill. Reset them from the options menu if you are sure you
font will correctly support them.
- Select symbol by double clicking in the grid which
shows all symbols in the font. Some symbols are
unused, and display a rectangular box.
- Select unit size with radio buttons. Select none
for Air and Sea units for which this does not apply.
- Select unit designation (text which appears to the
left of the symbol).
- Select parent unit (text which appears to the right
of the symbol)
- Select size of the text (unit and parent) and the symbol. Because of scaling inconsistencies with
Windows, some symbol sizes do not work well.
Experiment with the size until the symbol looks good--a
single step up or down can make a big difference.
- Select whether unit is filled with color with the
- Select color for unit fill.
Disaster Response Map Symbols (DRMS)
- Adds infrastruction status
||Military Unit Symbols are composed of three parts added to the base
- Unit designation, written to the left of the
symbol (D in this symbol)
- Symbol, a single "character". If
the font has zero length characters in the
correct character slots, it can also be colored
(green here) and have a unit size appended (the
| for company in this symbol).
- Parent designation, written to right of the
symbol (44 in this symbol).
- Moving on the map window will drag the icon. Double click
to place it on the map.
- Close button will end icon placement.
|Icons on DEM reflectance map
||Icons on DRG (scanned map)
Icons for KML and Google Earth export.
Other potential True Type fonts to use:
Last revision 10/2/2018