Jenelle Armstrong Piepmeier
Professor & Chair
- Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, 1999 Thesis: A Dynamic Quasi-Newton Method for Model Independent Visual Servoing
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, 1995 Thesis: Textural Analysis for Defect Detection in Automated Inspection Systems.
- LeTourneau University, Longview, Texas B.S. Engineering, Summa Cum Laude, 1993
Jenelle Piepmeier is a Professor at the United States Naval Academy. Her research interests include vision based control of robotic systems.
EW200 Introduction to Programming and Design
EW202 Introduction to Mechatronics
Peer-Reviewed Book Chapter
- S. L. Firebaugh, J. A. Piepmeier, and C. D. McGray, “Soccer at the Microscale: Small Robots with Big Impact.” Robot Soccer. IN-TECH 2010.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- M. Feemster, J.A. Piepmeier, H. BIggs, S. Yee, H. ElBidweihy, S.L. Firebaugh “Autonomous Microrobotic Manipulation Using Visual Servo Control” Micromachines, Volume: 11, Issue: 2, Jan 2020, pp. 132-145.
- J.A. Piepmeier, S. Firebaugh, C.S. Olsen, “Uncalibrated Visual Servo Control of Magnetically Actuated Microrobots in a Fluid Environment.” Micromachines, Volume: 5, Issue: 4, Sept. 2014, pp. 797-813.
- C.D. McGray, S.M. Stavis, J. Giltinan, E. Eastman, S. Firebaugh, J.A. Piepmeier, J. Geist, M. Gaitan, “MEMS Kinematics by Super-Resolution Fluorescence Microscopy.” Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Volume: 22, Issue: 1, Feb. 2013, pp. 115 – 123.
- Firebaugh S., Piepmeier J., Leckie E., Burkhardt J. “Jitterbot: A Mobile Millirobot Using Vibration Actuation.” Micromachines. 2011; Vol. 2, No. 2. p. 295-305.
- B. Bishop, J. Esposito, and J. Piepmeier, “Moving Without Wheels: Educational Experiments in Robot Design and Locomotion.” Computers in Education Journal, Vol.1 No.3 July-September 2010, p. 41-49.
- S.L. Firebaugh and J.A. Piepmeier, "The RoboCup Nanogram League: An Opportunity for Project-Based Undergraduate Education in Microsystems." IEEE Transactions on Education. Vol. 61, No. 3, August 2009. p. 394-399.
- B.E. Bishop, J.A. Piepmeier, G. Piper, and K.A. Knowles, “Low-cost Robotic Exercises and Projects.” International Journal of Engineering Education Vol. 22, No. 4. 2006
- J.A. Piepmeier, G.V. McMurray, and H. Lipkin. “Uncalibrated Dynamic Visual Servoing,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation. Vol. 20, No.1, February 2004. p. 143-148.
- J.A. Piepmeier and H. Lipkin. “Uncalibrated Eye-in-hand Visual Servoing,” International Journal of Robotics Research. Special Issue on Visual Servoing. Vol. 22, No. 10/11, October 2003. p. 805-820.
- Piepmeier, J.A. Bishop, B.E. and Knowles, K.A., “Modern Robotics Engineering Education,”, IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, Special Issue on Robotics Education, Vol. 10, No. 2, June 2003, pp.33-37.
- J.F. Cooke, J.A. Piepmeier, H. ElBidweihy, S. Firebaugh, “Uncalibrated Three-Dimensional Microrobot Control in a Fluid Environment.” Proceedings of the International Conference on Manipulation, Automation and Robotics at Small Scales, Montréal, Canada, 17 July, 2017
- C. House, J.A. Piepmeier, J. Burkhardt, S. Firebaugh, “Characterization of an Acoustic Actuation Mechanism for Robotic Propulsion in Low Reynolds Number Environments.” SPIE Defense+ Security, Proc. SPIE 9083, Micro- and Nanotechnology Sensors, Systems, And Applications VI, June 11, 2014
- C. House, J.A. Piepmeier, J. Burkhardt, S Firebaugh, “Analysis of Flapping Mechanism for Acoustically Actuated Microrobotics.” IEEE MEMS & NEMS (MAMNA), 2014 Spring Symposium: From Lab to Life: Field Based Applications of
- J.A. Piepmeier, C. Olsen, S.L. Firebaugh, “Uncalibrated Trajectory Following with Magnetically Controlled Microrobots” IEEE MEMS & NEMS (MAMNA), 2014 Spring Symposium: From Lab to Life: Field Based Applications of
- J.A. Piepmeier, S.L. Firebaugh, “Visual Servo Control of Electromagnetic Actuation for a Family of Microrobot Devices.” 2013 IEEE Workshop On Robot Vision (WORV), 15 January 2013, 209 - 214
- S. Tan, J.A. Piepmeier, D. Kriebel, “A Computer Vision System for Monitoring Vessel Motion in Conjunction with Vessel Wake Measurements.” Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers, 4 November 2013, 1830 – 1834
- J.A. Piepmeier, S.L. Firebaugh, “PWM Accuracy for Scratch Drive Actuators.” ASME 2010 Annual Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, 12 September, 2010, 9-14
- CM Felps, MH Fick, KR Kinkade, J Searock, J.A. Piepmeier, “Integration of Semantic Vision Techniques for an Autonomous Robot Platform.” IEEE Southeastern Symposium on System Theory, 2010, 243 – 247
- Firebaugh, S. L., Piepmeier, J. A., “The RoboCup Nanogram League: An Opportunity for Project-Based Undergraduate Education in Microsystems." 2007 International Conference on Microelectronic Systems Education, San Diego, CA, June 2007
- J.A. Piepmeier and S.L. Firebaugh, “Leveraging the Nanogram RoboCup Competition in the Undergraduate Classroom.” AAAI Spring Symposium: Robots and Robot Venues:Resources for AI Education. Technical Report SS-07-00, Palo Alto, CA, March 2007. p. 129-131.
- Piepmeier, J.A. and Waters, J., “Analysis of stereo vision-based measurements of laboratory water waves.” IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Sept 2004 . p. 3592 – 3595.
- B.E. Bishop, J.A. Piepmeier, G. Piper, K.A. Knowles, K. Ho, and B. Hudock, “The Use of Low-Cost RC Servos in a Robotics Curriculum.” AAAI Spring Symposium: Accessible Hands-on Artificial Intelligence and Robotics Education. Technical Report SS-04-01, Palo Alto, CA, March 2004. p. 52-56.
- J. Grob, J. Waters, and J.A. Piepmeier “Vision-Based Wave Sensing for High Speed Vessels.” IEEE Southeastern Symposium on System Theory, Atlanta, GA, March 2004.
- K. Ho, G. Piper, J. Watkins, J.A. Piepmeier, Robotic Testbed for Simulating Spacecraft Relative Motion. In Proceedings of the 2003 NASA Flight Mechanics Symposium.
- P.C. Hoblet, R.T. O’Brien, Jr., and J.A Piepmeier, “Scale-Model Vehicle Analysis for the Design of a Steering Controller,” In IEEE Southeastern Symposium on System Theory, Morgantown, WV, March 2003, p. 201-205.
- J.A. Piepmeier, “Experimental Results for Uncalibrated Eye-in-Hand Visual Servoing.” In IEEE Southeastern Symposium on System Theory, Morgantown, WV, March 2003.
- J. A. Piepmeier, K.A. Knowles, and B.E. Bishop. “The Use of MATLAB for Robotic Control in an Undergraduate Robotics Laboratory,” In ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition,Montreal, Quebec, June 2002.
- J.A. Piepmeier, B. Gumpert, and H. Lipkin. Uncalibrated eye-in-hand visual servoing. In IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Washington, D.C., May 2002.
- S. R. Burns, R. T. O’Brien, Jr., and J.A. Piepmeier, “Steering controller design using scale-model vehicles.” In IEEE Southeastern Symposium on System Theory, Huntsville, AL, March 2002.
- J.A. Piepmeier and P.A. Morgan, “Uncalibrated vision-based mobile robot control.” InASCE Space and Robotics 2002, Albuquerque, NM, March 2002.
- J.A. Piepmeier and P.A. Morgan, “Uncalibrated vision-based control of two-wheeled mobile robots.” In IMECE 2001, International Mechanical Engineering Conference and Exposition, New York City, NY, November 2001.
- J.A. Piepmeier, “Uncalibrated vision-based mobile robot obstacle avoidance.” In IEEE Southeastern Symposium on System Theory, Athens, OH, March 2001.
- J.A. Piepmeier, G.V. McMurray, and H. Lipkin. Uncalibrated target tracking with obstacle avoidance. In IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, San Francisco, California, April 2000.
- J.A. Piepmeier, G.V. McMurray, and H. Lipkin. A dynamic Jacobian estimation method for uncalibrated visual servoing. In IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Atlanta, Georgia, September 1999.
- J.A. Piepmeier, G.V. McMurray, and H. Lipkin. Experimental results utilizing vision-based control for uncalibrated robotic systems. In SPIE International Symposium on Intelligent Systems and Advanced Manufacturing, Boston, Massachusetts, September 1999.
- J.A. Piepmeier, G.V. McMurray, and H. Lipkin. A dynamic quasi-Newton method for uncalibrated visual servoing. In IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Detroit, Michigan, May 1999.
- J.A. Piepmeier, G.V. McMurray, and H. Lipkin. Tracking a moving target with model independent visual servoing: a predictive estimation approach. In IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Leuven, Belgium, May 1998.