Professor of Estimation and Control
Dept. of Weapons, Robotics, and Control Engineering
105 Maryland Ave.
Annapolis, Maryland 21402
Ph.D., Polytechnic Institute of NYU, Brooklyn, 1996
M.S., Polytechnic Institute of NYU, Brooklyn, 1993
Diploma, National Technical University of Athens, Greece, 1990
Current Research Projects
Detection and Tracking of Multiple Targets
System-theoretic Analysis of Physiological and Biological Systems
Estimation and Control Based on Aggregate Models (including Fuzzy Systems)
Selected journal articles:
- B. Croteau, D. Krishnankutty, K. Kiriakidis, T. Severson, C. Patel, R. Robucci, E. Rodriguez-Seda, and N. Banerjee, "Cross-level detection framework for attacks on cyber-physical systems," Journal of Hardware and Systems Security, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 356--369, Dec 2017. [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1007/s41635-017-0027-9
- M. A. Hurni and K. Kiriakidis, "Planning the Minimum Time and Optimal Survey Trajectory for Autonomous Underwater Vehicles in Uncertain Current", Robotics, vol. 4, pp. 516--528, 2015.
- K. Kiriakidis, "Nonlinear Modeling by Interpolation Between Linear Dynamics and its Application in Control", Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, vol. 129, pp. 813--824, 2007.
- R.T. O'Brien, Jr. and K. Kiriakidis, "Single-Snapshot Robust Direction Finding'', IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 1964--1978, 2005.
- D. Gordon and K. Kiriakidis, "Reconfigurable Robot Teams: Modeling and Supervisory Control,'' IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 763--769, 2004.
Selected conference articles:
- Tracie Severson, Erick J. Rodríguez-Seda, Brien Croteau, Deepak Krishnankutty, Kiriakos Kiriakidis, Chintan Patel, Nilanjan Banerjee, Ryan Robucci, “Trust-Based Framework for Resilience to Sensor-Targeted Attacks in Cyber-Physical Systems.” In Proceedings of the American Control Conference, Milwaukee, WI, June 2018.
- Croteau B, Krishnankutty D, Robucci R, Patel C, Banerjee N, Kiriakidis K, Severson T, Rodriguez-Seda E, "Cross-level Detection of Sensor Based Deception Attacks on Cyber-Physical Systems" In: Proc of the 7th Annu IEEE Int Conf on CYBER Technol in Auton, Control, and Intell Syst, Honolulu, HI, August 2017 (to appear)
- E. J. Rodriguez-Seda, T. Severson, and K. Kiriakidis, “Recovery after attacks of deception on Networked Control Systems,” in Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Resilient Control Systems, Chicago, Illinois, August 2016, pp. 109–114.
- K. Kiriakidis, T. Severson, and B. Connett, “Detecting and isolating attacks of deception in networked control systems,” in Proceedings of 13th IEEE International Conference on Autonomic Computing, Wuerzburg, Germany, July 2016.
- K. Kiriakidis, J.W. Nicholson, M. Hock, and K. Lee, "Particle Filtering with Optimal Measurement Selection.'' In Proceedings of the 8th IMA International Conference on Mathematical Signal Processing, Cirencester, United Kingdom, December 2008.
- K. Kiriakidis and G. Nakos, "Algebraic Criteria for Qualitative Analysis of Nonlinear Dynamics in Biochemistry.'' In Proceedings of the ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, Ann Arbor, Michigan, October 2008.
ES306: Advanced Control Systems
ES418: Optimal Control and Estimation
ES413: Digital Control Systems
ES461: Quantitative Methods for Management
An excerpt from the essay "Near the Shrine of Akademos:"
If the default posture of today’s student is a form of de omnibus disputandum, the professor should be first to question the significance of engineering concepts or scientific truths. Next, the teacher must convince the student that the approach leading to knowledge is itself rewarding and, thus, worth the effort. Perhaps, having grown in such learning environment, the future naval officer will continue to value highly education and knowledge throughout his or her career and beyond.
Kiriakos Kiriakidis was born in Greece. He received the Diploma in mechanical engineering (1990) from the National Technical University of Athens, Greece, and the M.S. (1993) and Ph.D. (1996) degrees, also in mechanical engineering, from Polytechnic Institute of NYU, Brooklyn, New York. Since 1996, he has been on the faculty of the United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD, where he is Professor of Estimation and Control. He served as Department Chair from 2010 to 2015. Dr. Kiriakidis is a member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and Technical Chamber of Greece.