Office of the Commandant/Records of Annual Summer Practice Cruises: General Correspondence of the Summer Practice Cruise, 1910: Finding Aid
Published in October 2016
- Publisher: United States Naval Academy. Special Collections & Archives.
- Publisher Address:
589 McNair Road
Annapolis, Maryland 21402-5029, USA
- Call number: RG 405.3.2 Entry 165
- Location: Special Collections & Archives Department - Archives
- Title: Office of the Commandant/Records of Annual Summer Practice Cruises: General Correspondence of the Summer Practice Cruise
- Dates: 1910
- Size: 5 linear inches (1 manuscript box)
- Creator: United States Naval Academy. Commandant of Midshipmen
- Language(s) of material: English
- Abstract: This series contains general correspondence of the summer practice cruise in 1910.
History of the Annual Summer Practice Cruises
The first annual midshipman training cruise commenced in 1851 with cruises aboard the steamer John Hancock and sloop-of-war Preble, the latter of which was subsequently assigned to the Naval Academy as its first training vessel. With the success of this first cruise, the Academy's academic program was formally amended in November 1851 to allow all four years of academic study to run consecutively. The annual cruises continued aboard U.S.S. Preble, including the Academy's first foreign cruises to the West Indies in 1852 and Spain in 1853, until 1859, when the Preble was permanently replaced by U.S.S. Plymouth (Sloop-of-war). Later in 1859, Plymouth was joined at the Academy by the frigate U.S.S. Constitution.
Following the outbreak of the Civil War, the summer practice cruise was temporarily suspended in 1861 as the Naval Academy settled in at Newport, Rhode Island. The cruises resumed the very next year, with cruises aboard the sloops-of-war U.S.S. John Adams and U.S.S. Marion, the latter of which was under the command of Lieutenant Stephen B. Luce. In 1863, U.S.S. Marion was joined by the sloop-of-war U.S.S. Macedonian and the yacht America. Under the command of Stephen B. Luce, the Macedonian sailed for England where she patrolled for Confederate ships. In 1864, U.S.S. Marion, U.S.S. Macedonian, and the yacht America were joined by U.S.S. Marblehead, sailing as a squadron in search of C.S.S. Florida.
In 1871, U.S.S. Constitution was detached from the Academy as a training vessel and replaced by U.S.S. Constellation (Sloop-of-war), aboard which every summer cruise would be made until 1894. Two years after the departure of the Constitution, the yacht America was also detached from the Academy. In 1894, summer training cruises were transferred to the purpose-built steamer U.S.S. Bancroft. Proving insufficient in size, the Bancroft was turned over to the Coast Guard only two years later, to be replaced by U.S.S. Monongahela (Screw sloop-of-war). 1900 saw the arrival of the steel-sheathed bark U.S.S. Chesapeake (renamed Severn in 1904), which served the summer cruise until 1907.
In 1909, the midshipmen made their last summer cruise under sail aboard the Civil War veteran U.S.S. Hartford (Screw sloop-of-war). Following Hartford's detachment, summer training cruises were largely performed aboard modern battleships in small dedicated training squadrons. This practice continued, interrupted by World War II (which restricted summer cruises to Chesapeake Bay) until 1958, when the modern practice of distributing midshipmen among active ships of the fleet was instituted.
Description of Contents
This series contains general correspondence of the summer practice cruise in 1910. It relates to the cruise composed of the U.S.S. Massachusetts, Iowa, and Indiana, and includes letters received and copies of letters sent by the commanding officer of the U.S. Naval Academy Practice Squadron.
The Office of the Commandant/Records of Annual Summer Practice Cruises: General Correspondence of the Summer Practice Cruise is arranged generally chronologically.
Access and Use
Access is unrestricted.
Use is unrestricted.
Acquisition and Appraisal
RG 405 Records of the United States Naval Academy is the property of the National Archives and Records Administration. The materials are housed at the United States Naval Academy, William W. Jeffries Memorial Archives, an affiliated archive, as per a Memorandum of Agreement between the National Archives and Records Administration and the United States Naval Academy.
Related Archival Material
Additional material pertaining to summer practice cruises can be found in RG 405 Entries 160 through 180.
Materials Cataloged Separately
No materials have been removed from this collection and cataloged separately.
Processing and Other Information
Office of the Commandant/Records of Annual Summer Practice Cruises: General Correspondence of the Summer Practice Cruise, RG 405.3.2 Entry 165
Special Collections & Archives Department
United States Naval Academy
The following sources were consulted during preparation of the historical note:
Sweetman, Jack. The U.S. Naval Academy: An Illustrated History. Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1979.
Inventory and Historical Sketch prepared by David D'Onofrio in David D'Onofrio. Scope and Content Note prepared by Geraldine N. Phillips and Aloha South in 1975.
Name and Subject Terms
- Indiana (Battleship: BB-1)
- Iowa (Battleship: BB-4)
- Massachusetts (Battleship: BB-2)
- United States Naval Academy -- Midshipmen -- Cruises