Records of Boards/Records of the Academic Board: Records of the Academic Board, 1868-1975: Finding Aid
Published in February 2013
- Publisher: United States Naval Academy. Special Collections & Archives.
- Publisher Address:
589 McNair Road
Annapolis, Maryland 21402-5029, USA
- Call number: RG 405.6.2 Entry 205a
- Location: Special Collections & Archives Department - Archives
- Title: Records of Boards/Records of the Academic Board: Records of the Academic Board
- Dates: 1868-1975
- Size: 2 linear feet (5 manuscript boxes)
- Creator: United States Naval Academy. Academic Board
- Language(s) of material: English
- Abstract: Records relating to the activities of the Academic Board for the period 1868-1975.
History of the Academic Board
The Academic Board dates from the opening of the Naval School in October 1845, when Superintendent Franklin Buchanan called the professors to meet as a board to plan the course of instruction and arrange the classes and recitation periods. In addition to the heads of departments, the membership of the Board has also included the Superintendent and the Commandant of Midshipmen (or Cadets), with the Superintendent serving as Chairman of the Board. Its responsibilities have included: prescribing the course of study, choice of textbooks, and subjects studied, subject to the approval of the Navy Department; regulating and preparing reports and papers in connection with the examination of candidates and students; recommending the restoration or further trial of students who were dismissed or found deficient in studies or conduct; granting certificates of graduation; and authorizing the acceptance of gifts and memorials for the Academy.
Description of Contents
Records relating to the activities of the Academic Board for the period 1868-1975, including material pertaining to Academic Board meetings, student deficiencies, examinations and grades, midshipman performance, transcripts, and the internal rules governing the Board.
Arranged largely alphabetically by subject.
Access and Use
Access is unrestricted.
Use of the materials is unrestricted.
Acquisition and Appraisal
RG 405 Records of the United States Naval Academy is the property of the National Archives and Records Administration. The materials are housed at the United States Naval Academy, William W. Jeffries Memorial Archives, an affiliated archive, as per a Memorandum of Agreement between the National Archives and Records Administration and the United States Naval Academy.
Related Archival Material
Location of Related Materials
Additional material pertaining to the activities of the Academic Board is available in RG 405.6.2 Entries 204 and 205.
Materials Cataloged Separately
No materials have been removed from this collection and cataloged separately.
Records of Boards/Records of the Academic Board: Records of the Academic Board, RG 405.6.2 Entry 205a
Special Collections & Archives Department
United States Naval Academy
Collection inventory prepared by Alice Gilliland in 2013. Historical sketch prepared by Geraldine N. Phillips and Aloha South in 1975.
Name and Subject Terms
- Naval education -- United States
- United States Naval Academy
- United States Naval Academy -- Faculty
- United States Naval Academy -- Students
- United States Naval Academy. Academic Board
- Minutes (administrative records)