Records of Boards/Records of Other Boards: Proceedings of the Court of Inquiry Convened at the Academy into Alleged Frauds Committed by Midshipmen in the Annual Examinations of 1915, 1915: Finding Aid
Published in July 2014
- Publisher: United States Naval Academy. Special Collections & Archives.
- Publisher Address:
589 McNair Road
Annapolis, Maryland 21402-5029, USA
- Call number: RG 405.6.4 Entry 217
- Location: Special Collections & Archives Department - Archives
- Title: Records of Boards/Records of Other Boards: Proceedings of the Court of Inquiry Convened at the Academy into Alleged Frauds Committed by Midshipmen in the Annual Examinations of 1915
- Dates: 1915 June 7-July 24
- Size: 1.7 linear feet (4 manuscript boxes)
- Creator: United States Naval Academy
- Language(s) of material: English
- Abstract: Court of inquiry proceeds, including witness testimonies, concerning the 1915 Annual Examination cheating scandal.
History of the Boards of Investigation, Courts of Inquiry, and Courts Martial
Boards of investigation, courts of inquiry, and courts-martial were convened at the Academy by authority of the Superintendent. In his letters of authorization to the senior member of the board of investigation, the Superintendent usually described the scope and purpose of the inquiry to be made. The procedure followed by boards of investigation, courts of inquiry, and courts-martial was that prescribed by the Navy Department. The proceedings, findings, and recommendations of the courts and boards were submitted to the Superintendent, who, in turn, submitted them to the Secretary of the Navy.
Description of Contents
Carbon copy of the proceedings of the 40-day session at the Academy, during which various midshipmen and members of the staff were called as witnesses in connection with the alleged frauds.
At the end of the last volume of this series are endorsements made by the Judge Advocate General of the Navy, the Acting Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, the Secretary of the Navy, and the Superintendent of the Academy on the record of the proceedings.
Arranged chronologically. A name index to witnesses and a chronological list of the order of procedure for the court's sessions are at the beginning of the series.
Access and Use
Access is unrestricted.
Use of the materials is unrestricted.
Acquisition and Appraisal
RG 405 Records of the United States Naval Academy is the property of the National Archives and Records Administration. The materials are housed at the United States Naval Academy, William W. Jeffries Memorial Archives, an affiliated archive, as per a Memorandum of Agreement between the National Archives and Records Administration and the United States Naval Academy.
Related Archival Material
Correspondence relating to this court of inquiry can be found in RG 405.2.1 Entries 36 and 41.
Additional proceedings of Boards of Investigation, Courts-martial, and Courts of Inquiry are available in RG 405.6.4 Entries 210 through and 222.
Materials Cataloged Separately
No materials have been removed from this collection and cataloged separately.
Processing and Other Information
Records of Boards/Records of Other Boards: Proceedings of the Court of Inquiry Convened at the Academy into Alleged Frauds Committed by Midshipmen in the Annual Examinations of 1915, RG 405.6.4 Entry 217
Special Collections & Archives Department
United States Naval Academy
Collection inventory prepared by David D'Onofrio in July 2014. Historical sketch and Scope and Content Note prepared by Geraldine N. Phillips and Aloha South in 1975.
Name and Subject Terms
- Cheating (Education) -- Maryland -- Annapolis
- Courts-martial and courts of inquiry
- Naval education -- United States
- United States Naval Academy
- United States Naval Academy -- Students