Records of Boards/Records of Other Boards: Proceedings of Boards Appointed to Investigate Incidents at the Academy Involving the Academy Staff, 1921-1923: Finding Aid
Published in July 2014
- Publisher: United States Naval Academy. Special Collections & Archives.
- Publisher Address:
589 McNair Road
Annapolis, Maryland 21402-5029, USA
- Call number: RG 405.6.4 Entry 220
- Location: Special Collections & Archives Department - Archives
- Title: Records of Boards/Records of Other Boards: Proceedings of Boards Appointed to Investigate Incidents at the Academy Involving the Academy Staff
- Dates: 1921-1923
- Size: 5 linear inches (1 manuscript box)
- Creator: United States Naval Academy
- Language(s) of material: English
- Abstract: Proceedings, and supporting documents, pertaining to investigations of incidents involving Naval Academy staff and departments.
History of the Boards of Investigation, Courts of Inquiry, and Courts Martial
Boards of investigation, courts of inquiry, and courts-martial were convened at the Academy by authority of the Superintendent. In his letters of authorization to the senior member of the board of investigation, the Superintendent usually described the scope and purpose of the inquiry to be made. The procedure followed by boards of investigation, courts of inquiry, and courts-martial was that prescribed by the Navy Department. The proceedings, findings, and recommendations of the courts and boards were submitted to the Superintendent, who, in turn, submitted them to the Secretary of the Navy.
Description of Contents
Unbound carbon copies of the proceedings of boards appointed by the Superintendent to investigate the following: (1) the failure to promote Professor Morris E. Speare, July 1921; (2) alleged irregularities in the Commissary Department, 1922; and (3) the state of morale and insubordination within the Academy Band, April 1923.
Arranged chronologically. Name indexes to witnesses are at the beginning of the proceedings.
Access and Use
Access is unrestricted.
Use of the materials is unrestricted.
Acquisition and Appraisal
RG 405 Records of the United States Naval Academy is the property of the National Archives and Records Administration. The materials are housed at the United States Naval Academy, William W. Jeffries Memorial Archives, an affiliated archive, as per a Memorandum of Agreement between the National Archives and Records Administration and the United States Naval Academy.
Related Archival Material
Related Archival Material
Additional proceedings of Boards of Investigation, Courts-martial, and Courts of Inquiry are available in RG 405.6.4 Entries 210 through and 222.
Materials Cataloged Separately
No materials have been removed from this collection and cataloged separately.
Processing and Other Information
Records of Boards/Records of Other Boards: Proceedings of Boards Appointed to Investigate Incidents at the Academy Involving the Academy Staff, RG 405.6.4 Entry 220
Special Collections & Archives Department
United States Naval Academy
Collection inventory prepared by David D'Onofrio in July 2014. Historical sketch and Scope and Content Note prepared by Geraldine N. Phillips and Aloha South in 1975.
Name and Subject Terms
- Courts-martial and courts of inquiry
- Speare, Morris E.
- United States Naval Academy
- United States Naval Academy -- Faculty
- United States Naval Academy. Band
- United States Naval Academy. Commissary Department