Nimitz Library Records, 1969-1999: Finding Aid
Published electronically in August 2012
- Publisher: United States Naval Academy. Special Collections & Archives.
- Publisher Address:
589 McNair Road
Annapolis, Maryland 21402-5029, USA
- Call number: MS 240
- Location: Special Collections & Archives Department - Manuscripts
- Title: Nimitz Library Records
- Dates: 1969-1999
- Size: 4.5 linear feet linear feet
- Container Summary: 2 manuscript boxes, 19 binders
- Creator: Nimitz Library
- Language(s) of material: English
- Abstract: The Nimitz Library Records (Manuscript Collection No. 240) cover the time period 1969 through 1999 and are concerned with Library planning and construction, the Library opening and dedication, some of the Nimitz Library’s early history, and the Library's exhibit program.
History of Nimitz Library
Construction of Nimitz Library, the United States Naval Academy Library, was completed in the spring of 1973 and the building was dedicated on the seventh of September of the same year. Designed by the architectural firm of John Carl Warnecke (1919-2010), Nimitz Library brought together, at its opening, the roughly 365,000 volumes of library materials that had previously been dispersed across six smaller libraries located throughout the Academy.
Description of Contents
The Nimitz Library Records (Manuscript Collection No. 240) cover the time period 1969 through 1999 and are concerned with Library planning and construction, the Library opening and dedication, some of the Nimitz Library’s early history, and the Library's exhibit program. The collection consists of collateral equipment lists, interior design brochures, photographs, records pertaining to the Nimitz Library dedication, and a few news articles.
The Nimitz Library Records are contained in nineteen binders and two boxes of records which occupy 4.5 linear feet of shelf space in the Special Collections & Archives Department of Nimitz Library.
The Nimitz Library Records are organized into the following three series:
- Series 1: LIBRARY DEDICATION FILES, 1970-1973
- Series 2: EQUIPMENT AND INTERIOR DESIGN FILES, 1969-1974
- Series 3: EXHIBIT PROGRAM FILES, 1975-1999
Access and Use
Access is unrestricted.
Copyright and Permission
The Nimitz Library Records are the physical property of Nimitz Library. Copyright belongs to the authors or creators of the works, or their legal representatives. For further information, consult the Head, Special Collections & Archives.
It is the responsibility of the researcher to secure written permission to publish, reprint, or reproduce material from Special Collections & Archives. The researcher assumes responsibility for infringement of copyright or literary or publication rights. Please contact the Head, Special Collections & Archives for permission to publish and for further information.
Acquisition and Appraisal
Provenance and Acquisition
Related Archival Material
Various proposals, plans, programs, etc. for a new Naval Academy Library (which evolved into the Nimitz Library) can be found among The United States Naval Academy Library Records (Manuscript Collection No. 239).
Materials pertaining to the SHORSTAMPS Program, the Commercial Activities Program, and Efficiency Review/Accreditation at Nimitz Library can be found in the Nimitz Library Project Files (Manuscript Collection No. 243).
Materials Cataloged Separately
No materials have been removed from this collection.
Processing and Other Information
Nimitz Library Records, MS 240
Special Collections & Archives Department
United States Naval Academy
This collection was processed by Mary R. Catalfamo in 1989. Finding aid written by Mary R. Catalfamo in 1989 and edited by David D'Onofrio in June 2013.
Name and Subject Terms
- Library buildings -- United States
- Library decoration
- Library exhibits
- Library fittings and supplies
- United States Naval Academy. Nimitz Library
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Printed ephemera
- Programs (documents)
- Speeches (documents)