Lejeune Hall Dedication Collection, 1969-1982 (bulk 1981-1982): Finding Aid
Published in 1989
- Publisher: United States Naval Academy. Special Collections & Archives.
- Publisher Address:
589 McNair Road
Annapolis, Maryland 21402-5029, USA
- Call number: MS 241
- Location: Special Collections & Archives Department - Manuscripts
- Title: Lejeune Hall Dedication Collection
- Dates: 1969-1982
- Bulk Dates: 1981-1982
- Size: 0.25 linear feet
- Container Summary: 17 folders
- Creator: Lejeune Hall Dedication Committee
- Language(s) of material: English
- Abstract: Lejeune Hall, named after the 13th Commandant of the Marine Corps, Lieutenant General John Archer Lejeune, member of the Naval Academy Class of 1888, was dedicated on April 28, 1982. The Lejeune Hall Dedication Collection relates to the preparation and planning for the building's dedication, as well as the dedication ceremony itself.
History of Lejeune Hall
Lejeune Hall, named after the 13th Commandant of the Marine Corps, Lieutenant General John Archer Lejeune, member of the Naval Academy Class of 1888, was dedicated on April 28, 1982. Built on the location of the former Thompson Stadium, ground was broken on the construction of Lejeune Hall on August 3, 1979. Upon completion, the 1,000 seat facility became home to the Navy swimming and diving teams, replacing Norman Scott Natatorium, which opened in 1924. At its opening, Lejeune Hall was also the home to Navy wrestling, which has since moved into other facilities on the Yard.
Description of Contents
The Lejeune Hall Dedication Collection, spanning from 1969 to 1982, comprises 0.25 linear feet of documentation. The collection, consisting of official documents, correspondence, research materials, notes, and publications, relates to the preparation and planning for the building's dedication, as well as the dedication ceremony itself.
The Lejeune Hall Dedication Collection is arranged alphabetically by subject.
Access and Use
Access is unrestricted.
Copyright and Permission
The Lejeune Hall Dedication Collection is the physical property of Nimitz Library. Copyright belongs to the authors or creators of the works, or their legal representatives. For further information, consult the Head, Special Collections & Archives.
It is the responsibility of the researcher to secure written permission to publish, reprint, or reproduce material from Special Collections & Archives. The researcher assumes responsibility for infringement of copyright or literary or publication rights. Please contact the Head, Special Collections & Archives for permission to publish and for further information.
Acquisition and Appraisal
Provenance and Acquisition
Related Archival Material
Additional material pertaining to the construction and operation of Lejeune Hall can be found in RG-405 Records of the United States Naval Academy, the Naval Academy Archives Reference Files, and the U.S. Naval Academy Archives Picture Collection in Special Collections & Archives, Nimitz Library.
Materials Cataloged Separately
No materials have been removed from this collection and cataloged separately.
Processing and Other Information
Lejeune Hall Dedication Collection, MS 241
Special Collections & Archives Department
United States Naval Academy
This collection was processed by Mary R. Catalfamo in 1989. Finding aid written by Mary R. Catalfamo in 1989 and revised by David D'Onofrio in February 2014.
Name and Subject Terms
- Lejeune, John Archer, 1867-1942
- United States Naval Academy -- Buildings and Grounds
- Attendance lists
- Notes (documents)
- Programs (documents)