One Merchant Seaman, One Navy Son ... Willie E. Sneed, 2nd. Engineer, 1986: Finding Aid
Published in 1990
- Publisher: United States Naval Academy. Special Collections & Archives.
- Publisher Address:
589 McNair Road
Annapolis, Maryland 21402-5029, USA
- Call number: MS 250
- Location: Special Collections & Archives Department - Manuscripts
- Title: One Merchant Seaman, One Navy Son ... Willie E. Sneed, 2nd. Engineer
- Dates: 1986
- Size: 0.13 linear feet
- Container Summary: 1 volume of 198 leaves
- Creator: Sneed, William E., 1941-
- Language(s) of material: English
- Abstract: William E. Sneed is a retired Chief Petty Officer in the United States Navy. His father, William Eugene "Willie" Sneed was an engineer in the U.S. Navy serving in the Merchant Marine from 1936 to 1969. Nearly half of the volume consists of William E. Sneed's recollections of his father, William Eugene Sneed, and family. The remainder of the volume consists of family photographs and clippings, as well as a short story and an outline for a novel entitled Black Oil Chief, USN, both by William E. Sneed.
Biography of Willie E. Sneed
Willie Eugene Sneed served in the U.S. Navy in the 1930's and as an engineer in the Merchant Marine from 1936 to 1969. During World War II and the Vietnamese Conflict, he held the Merchant Marine rank of Lieutenant. His son, William E. Sneed, retired from the U.S. Navy in 1980 with the rank of Chief Petty Officer.
Description of Contents
One Merchant Seaman, One Navy Son ... Willie E. Sneed, 2nd. Engineer, comprising a single volume of 198 leaves, is a memoir of Willie E. Sneed (1907-1986) compiled by his son, William E. Sneed (1941- ). The journal contains biographical information on both men, as well as genealogical data on the Sneed Family. The journal also includes a short story and novel outline by William E. Sneed.
At the center of the document is a photocopy of a 215 page journal kept by William E. Sneed, begun several days before the death of his father, Willie E. Sneed, in January 1986 and continuing through September 1986. The journal consists of the story of Willie E. Sneed's dying days and the younger Sneed's remembrances of his father, and includes such information as the ship's Willie Sneed served aboard in the Merchant Marine, family trees, and other genealogical information.
Following the conclusion of the formal journal, the volume continues to include photographs of Willie E. Sneed and the Sneed Family, copies of correspondence between Willie E. Sneed and William E. Sneed, and copies of pages from a scrapbook kept by William E. Sneed regarding his U.S. Navy career, including his service aboard U.S.S. Jouett. The volume also includes a copy of William E. Sneed's short story "Dixie Cup Annie," and an outline for his novel, Black Oil Chief, USN.
One Merchant Seaman, One Navy Son ... Willie E. Sneed, 2nd. Engineer comprises a single volume. Entries in the journal portion of the volume are arranged chronologically.
Access and Use
Access is unrestricted.
Copyright and Permission
One Merchant Seaman, One Navy Son ... Willie E. Sneed, 2nd. Engineer is the physical property of Nimitz Library. Copyright belongs to the authors or creators of the works, or their legal representatives. For further information, consult the Head, Special Collections & Archives.
It is the responsibility of the researcher to secure written permission to publish, reprint, or reproduce material from Special Collections & Archives. The researcher assumes responsibility for infringement of copyright or literary or publication rights. Please contact the Head, Special Collections & Archives for permission to publish and for further information.
Acquisition and Appraisal
Provenance and Acquisition
Gift of William E. Sneed in October 1986. Accession No. 86-40.
Related Archival Material
There are no other known collections of papers of Willie E. Sneed or William E. Sneed. William E. Sneed's novel, Black Oil Chief, USN was published in 2007.
Materials Cataloged Separately
No materials have been removed from this collection and cataloged separately.
Processing and Other Information
One Merchant Seaman, One Navy Son ... Willie E. Sneed, 2nd. Engineer, MS 250
Special Collections & Archives Department
United States Naval Academy
This collection was processed by Mary R. Catalfamo in 1990. Biographical Sketch written by Mary R. Catalfamo in 1990. Scope and Content Note written by David D'Onofrio in May 2014.
Name and Subject Terms
- Merchant mariners
- Sneed family
- Sneed, William E., 1941-
- Sneed, Willie Eugene, 1907-1986
- United States. Navy -- Seamen
- Clippings (information artifacts)