Noble Acker Papers, 1942-1987: Finding Aid
Published in 1991
- Publisher: United States Naval Academy. Special Collections & Archives.
- Publisher Address:
589 McNair Road
Annapolis, Maryland 21402-5029, USA
- Call number: MS 271
- Location: Special Collections & Archives Department - Manuscripts
- Title: Noble Acker Papers
- Dates: 1942-1987
- Size: 0.1 linear feet
- Container Summary: 2 folders containing 2 items
- Creator: Acker, Noble, 1924-2003
- Language(s) of material: English
- Abstract: The Noble Acker Papers consist of a typescript memoir of Acker's service as a radar operator and gunner aboard U.S.S. Maury (Destroyer: DD-401) in the Pacific Theater during World War II. The collection also includes supporting documentation, such as official U.S. Navy records, correspondence, newsletters and news clippings.
Biography of Noble Acker
Noble Acker enlisted in the United States Navy as a seventeen year-old in April 1942. During World War II, Acker was stationed primarily aboard U.S.S. Maury (Destroyer: DD-401) as a radarman and gunner. After World War II, he joined the United States Navy Reserve and was subsequently recalled during the Korean War, serving aboard U.S.S. Lowry (Destroyer: DD-770) as a radarman.
Description of Contents
The Noble Acker Papers, spanning from 1942 to 1987, comprises two volumes of documentation pertaining to the U.S.S. Maury's service during World War II and United States Navy operations in World War II in general.
The first volume consists of Three Seasons in Blue, Acker's account of his experiences aboard U.S.S. Maury as senior radarman and gunner (with battle station in the Command Information Center, giving Acker extensive knowledge of Maury's battles and operations. The memoir, which accounts for 46 leaves of the first volume, covers Maury's participation in actions at Guadalcanal, the Solomons, the Gilbert Islands, the Marshall Islands, Palau, and the Marianas. The remaining 46 leaves of the first volume is composed of related documents, including a history of U.S.S. Maury, the Presidential Unit Citation presented to the crew of the Maury, a list of engagements of the Maury, transcripts of "Tally-ho Ack Ack" (the daily bulletin for Operation Flintlock in the Marshall Islands Campaign from Task Group Commander Rear Admiral Ginder), and various pieces of correspondence related to Acker's work writing his memoir.
The second volume consists of photocopies of clippings from Our Navy, spanning from 1943 to 1945. The clippings pertain to salvage efforts at Pearl Harbor, the command staff of the United States Pacific Fleet, U.S. Navy vessels lost in World War II, the Battle of Surigao Strait, hospital corpsmen, and U.S.S. Northampton (Heavy cruiser: CA-26),
The Noble Acker Papers are organized into the following files:
- File 1: Three Seasons in Blue, 1942-1987
- File 2: Our Navy Clippings, 1943-1945
Access and Use
Access is unrestricted.
Copyright and Permission
The Noble Acker Papers are the physical property of Nimitz Library. Copyright belongs to the authors or creators of the works, or their legal representatives. For further information, consult the Head, Special Collections & Archives.
It is the responsibility of the researcher to secure written permission to publish, reprint, or reproduce material from Special Collections & Archives. The researcher assumes responsibility for infringement of copyright or literary or publication rights. Please contact the Head, Special Collections & Archives for permission to publish and for further information.
Acquisition and Appraisal
Provenance and Acquisition
Gift of Noble Acker in November 1987. Accession No. 87-38
Related Archival Material
There are no other known collections of papers of Noble Acker.
Materials Cataloged Separately
No materials have been removed from this collection.
Processing and Other Information
Noble Acker Papers, MS 271
Special Collections & Archives Department
United States Naval Academy
This collection was processed by Mary R. Catalfamo in 1991. Finding aid written by Mary R. Catalfamo in 1991 and revised by David D'Onofrio in September 2013.
Name and Subject Terms
- Acker, Noble, 1924-2003
- Maury (Destroyer: DD-401)
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Marshall Islands
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Ocean
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval Operations, American
- Clippings (information artifacts)