Charles Clinton Gordon Scrapbook, 1907-1909: Finding Aid
Published in 1994
- Publisher: United States Naval Academy. Special Collections & Archives.
- Publisher Address:
589 McNair Road
Annapolis, Maryland 21402-5029, USA
- Call number: MS 295
- Location: Special Collections & Archives Department - Manuscripts
- Title: Charles Clinton Gordon Scrapbook
- Dates: 1907-1909
- Size: 0.21 linear feet
- Container Summary: 2 folders
- Creator: Gordon, Charles Clinton, 1887-1973
- Language(s) of material: English
- Abstract: Charles Clinton Gordon was an officer in the United States Army and a member of the United States Naval Academy Class of 1911. The Gordon Scrapbook, spanning from 1907 to 1909, consists of newspaper clippings, event programs, leave requests, and other documents from Gordon's time as a student at the Naval Academy. The materials in the scrapbook focus on Academy athletic events, Masqueraders performances, and Gordon's performance and leaves while at the Academy.
Biography of Charles Clinton Gordon
Charles Clinton Gordon was born in Schuyler Corners, New York in 1887. Admitted to the Naval Academy on May 10, 1907, Gordon graduated as a member of the Class of 1911. After only four years in the Navy, Gordon retired with the rank of Ensign in February 1915. Following he retirement from the Navy, he joined the United States Army, and served during World War I with the rank of Major. Following the War, Gordon served in the National Guard, ultimately rising to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. In 1923, Gordon moved to Westfield, New Jersey, where he worked in real estate management.
Charles Gordon was twice married. His first wife, Edna Krouse Gordon, died in 1955. His second wife, Mary Ellen Watkin Gordon, survived him, as did his son, Henry, and three daughters, Sarah G. Osgood, Louise Rogers, and Jane G. Smith. Charles Clinton Gordon died December 22, 1973 in Westfield, New Jersey.
Description of Contents
The Charles Clinton Gordon Scrapbook, comprising 0.21 linear feet of documentation in a single volume, spans from 1907 to 1909. Compiled by Gordon while a midshipman at the United States Naval Academy, the scrapbook focuses on Academy athletic events, Masqueraders performances, and Gordon's performance and leaves while at the Academy.
The scrapbook is composed of newspaper clippings, event programs, memoranda, leave requests, sick list notices, special requisitions, reports of employment time, report of delinquencies, Naval Academy regulations, sporting event score cards, and U.S.S. Severn station billets.
Much of the material in the scrapbook pertains to Gordon's requests for leave, sick time, and delinquencies; sporting events, especially Naval Academy football, fencing, gymnastics, and track and field; performances of the Naval Academy's Masqueraders; and resignations of midshipmen. Specific documents/entries in the scrapbook include the February 1908 Masqueraders program (page 3), the Masqueraders 1908 Christmas show program (page 28), the Midshipmen's Athletic Association founding charter (page 29), the 1908 Annapolis Bicentenary Charter Celebration program (page 30), the program for the Porter Memorial Window Unveiling at the Naval Academy Chapel (page 35), the Masqueraders June Week show program (page 54), the Army-Navy Game (pages 66-78), the Class of 1909 Trial and Execution of Math and Skinny program (loose at page 107), Hamilton College's commencement (page 208), and the Naval Academy Gymnasium Manual (attached to back cover).
The Charles Clinton Gordon Scrapbook is organized into the following two files:
- File 1: Charles Clinton Gordon Scrapbook, 1907-1909
- File 2: Newspaper Clippings, 1908, undated
Access and Use
Access is unrestricted.
Copyright and Permission
The Charles Clinton Gordon Scrapbook is the physical property of Nimitz Library. Copyright belongs to the authors or creators of the works, or their legal representatives. For further information, consult the Head, Special Collections & Archives.
It is the responsibility of the researcher to secure written permission to publish, reprint, or reproduce material from Special Collections & Archives. The researcher assumes responsibility for infringement of copyright or literary or publication rights. Please contact the Head, Special Collections & Archives for permission to publish and for further information.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
The Charles Clinton Gordon Scrapbook's covers are detached and the spine is damaged.
Acquisition and Appraisal
Provenance and Acquisition
Purchased in July 1993. Accession No. 93-35.
Related Archival Material
Additional material pertaining to Charles Clinton Gordon's time as a midshipman may be found in his Personnel Jacket and Alumni Jacket in Special Collections & Archives, Nimitz Library.
Materials Cataloged Separately
No materials have been removed from this collection.
Processing and Other Information
Charles Clinton Gordon Scrapbook, MS 295
Special Collections & Archives Department
United States Naval Academy
This collection was processed by Mary R. Catalfamo in 1994. Finding aid written by Mary R. Catalfamo in 1994 and revised by David D'Onofrio in January 2014.
These materials have been indexed in the Naval Academy Library online catalog using the following terms. Those seeking related materials should search under these terms.
Name and Subject Terms
- Gordon, Charles Clinton, 1887-1973
- Midshipmen -- United States -- Conduct of life
- United States Naval Academy -- Social life and customs
- United States Naval Academy -- Sports
- United States Naval Academy. Class of 1911
- United States Naval Academy. Masqueraders
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Programs (documents)