Lawrence Allen Odlin Papers, 1914-1961: Finding Aid
Published in April 2014
- Publisher: United States Naval Academy. Special Collections & Archives.
- Publisher Address:
589 McNair Road
Annapolis, Maryland 21402-5029, USA
- Call number: MS 387
- Location: Special Collections & Archives Department - Manuscripts
- Title: Lawrence Allen Odlin Papers
- Dates: 1914-1961
- Size: 2.92 linear feet
- Container Summary: 3 manuscript boxes, 1 flat box
- Creator: Odlin, Lawrence Allen, 1889-1961
- Language(s) of material: English
- Abstract: Lawrence Allen Odlin was an officer in the United States Navy and a graduate of Dartmouth College. The Odlin Papers focus on Odlin's service as an officer in the U.S. Navy's Supply Corps, especially his duty at the Seattle Naval Supply Depot during World War II and authorship of "Principles of Navy Purchasing."
Biography of Lawrence Allen Odlin
Lawrence Allen Odlin was born in Lancaster, New Hampshire on 7 September 1889. He graduated from Dartmouth College in 1911. Less than a year later, he entered the Navy on 2 October 1912. He served in the Mexican Campaign of 1912 and in World War I. Prior to World War II he developed and administered the Federal Surplus Relief Corps, dairy products. From 1942 to his retirement on December 1944, Captain Odlin commanded Naval Supply Depot in Seattle. On 5 November 1961 he died in the San Diego Naval Hospital after a long illness.
Description of Contents
This collection focuses on the ability of the Supply Corps to provide "Service to the Fleet." From 1912 to 1944, CAPT Odlin, SC, developed and provided combat capability through logistics. He identified competencies of strategic importance in his publication "Principles of Navy Purchasing." He was instrumental in improving performance at all levels. The numbers of civilian employees utilized by the Supply Corps is emphasized in photographs showing the marshalling and managing of resources.
The Lawrence Allen Odlin Papers are organized into the following five series:
- Series 1: Correspondence, 1922-1961
- Subseries 1a: General Correspondence, 1942-1945
- Subseries 1b: Official Naval Correspondence, 1922-1944
- Subseries 1c: Personal Correspondence, 1935-1961
- Series 2: Naval and Career Related Documents, 1914-1961
- Subseries 2a: Awards and Certificates, 1914-1961
- Subseries 2b: Publications, Speeches, and Remarks, 1933-1943
- Subseries 2c: Poetry, undated
- Series 3: Newspaper Clippings and Publications, 1914-1958
- Subseries 3a: News Clippings, 1942-1954
- Subseries 3b: Magazines and Leaflets, 1914-1958
- Series 4: Diaries and Personal Miscellany, 1939-1958
- Series 5: Photographs, 1914-1958
- Subseries 5a: Naval Ports and Stations, 1942, undated
- Subseries 5b: Supply Storage Areas, 1939-1942
- Subseries 5c: Aerial Views of Ports, Piers and Ship Loading, 1941-1943
- Subseries 5d: Awards, 1942, undated
- Subseries 5e: Portraits and Personal Photographs, 1914-1958
- Subseries 5f: Negatives, 1929-1943, undated
Access and Use
Access to any potentially classified material is restricted.
Copyright and Permission
The Lawrence Allen Odlin Papers are the physical property of Nimitz Library. Copyright belongs to the authors or creators of the works, or their legal representatives. For further information, consult the Head, Special Collections & Archives.
It is the responsibility of the researcher to secure written permission to publish, reprint, or reproduce material from Special Collections & Archives. The researcher assumes responsibility for infringement of copyright or literary or publication rights. Please contact the Head, Special Collections & Archives for permission to publish and for further information.
Acquisition and Appraisal
Provenance and Acquisition
Purchased in July 1997. Accession No. 97-46.
Related Archival Material
Lawrence Allen Odlin's military personnel file may be available at the National Personnel Records Center.
Materials Cataloged Separately
No materials have been removed from this collection and cataloged separately.
Processing and Other Information
Lawrence Allen Odlin Papers, MS 387
Special Collections & Archives Department
United States Naval Academy
This collection was processed by Nechama Zakheim and Ruth Hennessy in October 2006. Finding aid written by Nechama Zakheim and Ruth Hennessy in October 2006.
These materials have been indexed in the Naval Academy Library online catalog using the following terms. Those seeking related materials should search under these terms.
Name and Subject Terms
- Kern (Tanker : AOG-2)
- Navy-yards and naval stations -- Washington
- Odlin, Lawrence Allen, 1889-1961
- Smith Cove Naval Supply Depot (Seattle, Washington)
- United States. Navy -- Supplies and stores
- United States. Navy. Supply Corps
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Printed ephemera
Subseries 1c: Personal Correspondence, 1935-1961 Box 1Subseries Description
This subseries contains correspondence with Odlin's wife and family, as well as promotion, retirement and detachment information. Included are his obituary and sympathy letters to his family.Subseries Arrangement
Subseries 2b: Publications, Speeches, and Remarks, 1933-1943 Box 1Subseries Description
The primary publication in the subseries is "Principles of Navy Purchasing." Other documents include articles, remarks, and radio talks pertaining to disbursing officials or the Supply Branch of the Navy.Subseries Arrangement
Arranged in two files.
Series 3: Newspaper Clippings and Publications, 1914-1958 Boxes 1-2 and 4[OS]Series Description
Newspaper and periodical clippings, as well as writings authored by Odlin. The materials pertain to Naval supply issues, the Seattle supply depot, and World War II.Series Arrangement
Organized into two subseries by document type.
Subseries 3b: Magazines and Leaflets, 1914-1958 Boxes 1-2Subseries Description
Magazines and leaflets pertaining to the minutia of naval supply. The primary publication is the Seattle Naval Supply Depot's Naval Supply News. Also included are the Phillips Exeter Academy's Twenty-Year Report, a University of Oregon event program, and a souvenir booklet from U.S. Naval Air Station Wexford.Subseries Arrangement
Arranged by document type and publication title.
Series 4: Diaries and Personal Miscellany, 1939-1958 Box 2Series Description
The series consists of two diaries and the plans for an apartment in Washington, DC. While the latter of the two diaries, a day planner, is likely to have been kept by Odlin, the earlier appears to have been kept by one of Odlin's children.Series Arrangement
Arranged by document type.
Series 5: Photographs, 1914-1958 Boxes 2-4[OS]Series Description
This series contains a large collection of official photographs taken of Navy supply areas. They identify storage and handling of materials. Photographs of awards are also included. Included are several portraits of Captain Odlin both alone and with others at various points in his career. There are photographs taken with groups of Naval personnel including WAVES and civilian employees. One photograph shows a group of officers with President Hoover. Many photographs are unidentified.Series Arrangement
Organized into six subseries.
Subseries 5e: Portraits and Personal Photographs, 1914-1958 Boxes 3 and 4[OS]Subseries Description
Primarily portraits of Odlin, both alone and with groups of U.S. Navy officers and WAVES. The majority of the photographs appear to be from Odlin's service at the Seattle Naval Supply Depot.Subseries Arrangement
Arranged by topic. Photographs not featuring Odlin are filed at the end of the subseries.
Subseries 5f: Negatives, 1929-1943, undated Box 3Subseries Description
Film negatives, most of which do not represent photographs elsewhere in the series. Mostly unidentified, the negatives depict several women and children, street scenes, and what appears to be Pier 41 in Seattle. Also included are photographs of an award presented to Odlin and Odlin's marriage license.Subseries Arrangement
Organized into a single file.