World War II Navy Department Communiqués, 1941-1945: Finding Aid
Published in January 2019
- Publisher: United States Naval Academy. Special Collections & Archives.
- Publisher Address:
589 McNair Road
Annapolis, Maryland 21402-5029, USA
- Call number: MS 477
- Location: Special Collections & Archives Department - Manuscripts
- Title: World War II Navy Department Communiqués
- Dates: 1941-1945
- Size: 0.63 linear feet
- Container Summary: 1 manuscript box, 1 half-manuscript box
- Creator: United States. Navy Department. Office of Public Relations
- Language(s) of material: English
- Abstract: The World War II Navy Department Communiqués span from 1941 to 1945. Covering from shortly after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor until just shy of the Japanese surrender aboard the U.S.S. Missouri, the communiqués consist of U.S. Navy Department and U.S. Pacific Fleet press releases covering all theaters of naval engagement during World War II, with an emphasis on the Pacific Theater of Operations.
The United States Navy in World War II
On December 7, 1941, with the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, the United States Navy, and the United States as a whole, was drawn into the hostilities of the Second World War. Throughout the conflict, the combined fleets of the U.S. Navy saw service in waters across the globe, ensuring victories in the South Pacific, the Mediterranean, Northern Europe, and the Aleutian Islands, as well as defending the homeland and vital shipping routes. By the time the Empire of Japan surrendered nearly four years after Pearl Harbor, over 700 U.S. Navy vessels had been sunk or damaged beyond repair and 36,950 officers, enlisted men, and officer candidates were lost to enemy action.
Description of Contents
The World War II Navy Department Communiqués, comprising 0.63 linear feet of documentation, span from 1941 to 1945. Covering from shortly after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor until just shy of the Japanese surrender aboard the U.S.S. Missouri, the communiqués consist of U.S. Navy Department and U.S. Pacific Fleet press releases covering all theaters of naval engagement during World War II, with an emphasis on the Pacific Theater of Operations.
The World War II Navy Department Communiqués are arranged by volume number into a single series with no subdivisions. The press releases offer official statements on major and minor naval engagements with Axis forces, including surface engagements, aerial operations, and submarine operations; Allied and Axis ship losses; histories of specific vessels; and awards bestowed upon specific officers, sailors, and vessels. The first three volumes consist of press releases from the Navy Department, covering the Atlantic, Pacific, Mediterranean, and Caribbean theaters, while the last two volumes consist of press releases solely from the Pacific Fleet. Much of the third volume is devoted to submarine operations.
The World War II Navy Department Communiqués are arranged by volume number.
Access and Use
Access is unrestricted.
Copyright and Permission
The World War II Navy Department Communiqués are the physical property of Nimitz Library. Copyright belongs to the authors or creators of the works, or their legal representatives. For further information, consult the Head, Special Collections & Archives.
It is the responsibility of the researcher to secure written permission to publish, reprint, or reproduce material from Special Collections & Archives. The researcher assumes responsibility for infringement of copyright or literary or publication rights. Please contact the Head, Special Collections & Archives for permission to publish and for further information.
Acquisition and Appraisal
Provenance and Acquisition
Gift in April 1942 and August 1971. Accession Nos. 94925, 259871, 259872, 259873, 259874.
Related Archival Material
Additional official reports and releases on World War II in this repository can be found in World War II Ship Action Reports, MS 415 and World War II Battle Action and Operational Reports, MS 416.
Materials Cataloged Separately
No materials have been removed from this collection and cataloged separately.
Publications Citing These Papers
The contents of this collection were published by the Government Printing Office as a three volume set entitled Navy Department Communiqués.
Processing and Other Information
Volume 1 of the collection was previously cataloged independently as a book under the call number D773.U55 1941 v.1.
World War II Navy Department Communiqués, MS 477
Special Collections & Archives Department
United States Naval Academy
This collection was processed by David D'Onofrio in January 2019. Finding aid written by David D'Onofrio in January 2019.
Name and Subject Terms
- United States. Navy -- History -- World War, 1939-1945
- United States. Navy. Pacific Fleet
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations, American
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations -- Submarine
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pacific Ocean
- Press releases