Archer Allen Papers, 1914-1946: Finding Aid
Published in August 2019
- Publisher: United States Naval Academy. Special Collections & Archives.
- Publisher Address:
589 McNair Road
Annapolis, Maryland 21402-5029, USA
- Call number: MS 512
- Location: Special Collections & Archives Department - Manuscripts
- Title: Archer Allen Papers
- Dates: 1914-1946
- Size: 0.42 linear feet (1 manuscript box, 1 oversize folder)
- Creator: Allen, Archer, 1884-1974
- Language(s) of material: English
- Abstract: Archer Allen was an officer in the United States Navy and a member of the United States Naval Academy Class of 1908. The Archer Allen Papers span from 1914 to 1946. The papers focus primarily on navigation work from Allen's time with Destroyer Division 14 and Allen's personal household finances.
Biographical Chronology of Archer Meredith Ruland Allen
- Born on November 20 in New Bedford, Massachusetts to Arthur Smith Allen and Ella Anita Allen.
- Appointed to the United States Naval Academy by Congressman William S. Green.
- On June 6, graduates from the United States Naval Academy.
- In June, ordered to Norfolk in connection with the fitting out of U.S.S. Montana (Armored cruiser: CA-13).
- On July 21, reports aboard U.S.S. Montana upon her commissioning.
- In January, transfers to U.S.S. Montgomery (Protected cruiser: C-9).
- In May, detached from U.S.S. Montgomery.
- Attached to U.S.S. Du Pont (Torpedo boat: TB-7).
- On June 6, commissioned as an Ensign.
- In June, assumes command of U.S.S. Bailey (Torpedo boat: TB-21). Participates in early radion transmitter, receiver, and direction finder testing while in command.
- In August, detached from U.S.S. Bailey.
- In September, assigned to duty fitting out U.S.S. Jarvis (Destroyer: DD-38).
- On October 22, attached to U.S.S. Jarvis upon her commissioning.
- In June, assigned to the Industrial Department at the Norfolk Navy Yard.
- In May, appointed Aide to the Commandant, Naval Stations Olongapo and Cavite, Philippines.
- Assigned additional duty in charge of completing the Cavite high power radio station.
- In November, appointed Navigator aboard U.S.S. Kansas (Battleship: BB-21), which was transporting troops from Europe following World War I.
- In September, transferred to U.S.S. Florida (Battleship: BB-30).
- In August, reports to the United States Naval Academy as an instructor in Navigation.
- Assigned to temporary duty aboard U.S.S. Kansas (Battleship: BB-21) in connection with the Naval Academy's summer practice cruise.
- In June, detached from United States Naval Academy for duty aboard U.S.S. Wyoming (Battleship: BB-32).
- In September, appointed Executive Officer of the Department of Navigation at the United States Naval Academy.
- On June 25, assumes command of U.S.S. Stoddert (Destroyer: DD-32).
- On May 1, detached from U.S.S. Stoddert.
- In July, reports to Naval War College for instruction.
- In May, completes Naval War College course is is attached to the War College staff.
- In January, assumes command of Destroyer Division Fourteen.
- In May, attached to the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations.
- In August, reports to the Army Industrial College for instruction.
- In June, completes course at the Army Industrial College and returns to the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations.
- In August, detached from the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations.
- On October 15, assumes command of U.S.S. Salt Lake City (Heavy cruiser: CA-25).
- In November, detached from U.S.S. Salt Lake City.
- In December, assigned to temporary duty in the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations.
- In February, appointed Naval Observer at the Singapore Straits Settlements.
- In August, assigned to the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations.
- In May, detached from the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations for duty at Headquarters, Commander in Chief, U.S. Fleet.
- In April, assigned to duty in connection with convoy and routing matters with Commander in Chief, U.S. Pacific Fleet and then Commander, Forward Area, Pacific; later establishes a shipping control office on Eniwetok.
- In October, assigned to advanced unit Lion 6.
- In June, assigned to the staff of Commander, Marianas.
- On August 1, retires from the United States Navy.
- On November 23, dies in Pacific Grove, California.
Description of Contents
The Archer Allen Papers, comprising 0.42 linear feet of documentation, span from 1914 to 1946. The papers focus primarily on navigation work from Allen's time with Destroyer Division 14 and Allen's personal household finances.
Included in the collection are ledgers, notebooks, certificates, photographs, articles, and ephemera.
The Archer Allen Papers are arranged alphabetically by document type and topic into a single series with no subdivisions. Roughly half of the collection is composed of ledger books, and their associated enclosures, tracking the finances of Allen and his wife Lucy, including their expenditures on myriad household goods. Three additional volumes consist of navigational work kept by Allen at several different duty stations. Supplementing these navigational notes are two works by Radler de Aquino of the Brazilian Navy: "Modern Methods in Sea, Ari and Radio Navigation" and A Navegação Hodierna Com Logaritmos De 1633!. Aside from a set of aviation plotting sheets, much of the rest of the collection is of an ephemeral nature, including an event program, several place cards, two Pan American Domain of Phoebus Apollo certificates, and one Domain of the Golden Dragon certificate from U.S.S. Salt Lake City. The papers also include several photographs Allen (including physical examination photos), as well as several possibly depicting Lucy Allen.
The Archer Allen Papers are arranged alphabetically by document type and topic.
Access and Use
Access is unrestricted.
Copyright and Permission
The Archer Allen Papers are the physical property of Nimitz Library. Copyright belongs to the authors or creators of the works, or their legal representatives. For further information, consult the Head, Special Collections & Archives.
It is the responsibility of the researcher to secure written permission to publish, reprint, or reproduce material from Special Collections & Archives. The researcher assumes responsibility for infringement of copyright or literary or publication rights. Please contact the Head, Special Collections & Archives for permission to publish and for further information.
Acquisition and Appraisal
Provenance and Acquisition
Transferred from the Naval Postgraduate School Library in June 1976.
Related Archival Material
Additional material pertaining to Archer Allen in this repository include Allen's Midshipman Personnel Jacket and Alumni Jacket.
Materials Cataloged Separately
No materials have been removed from this collection and cataloged separately.
Processing and Other Information
Archer Allen Papers, MS 512
Special Collections & Archives Department
United States Naval Academy
The following sources were consulted during preparation of the biographical note:
Allen, Archer Meredith R. Alumni Jacket, RG 405, Special Collections & Archives, Nimitz Library.
This collection was processed by David D'Onofrio in August 2019. Finding aid written by David D'Onofrio in August 2019.
These materials have been indexed in the Naval Academy Library online catalog using the following terms. Those seeking related materials should search under these terms.
Name and Subject Terms
- Allen, Archer, 1884-1974
- Finance, Personal
- Ledgers (account books)
- Printed ephemera