Spanish-American War Scrapbook, 1898, 1954 (bulk 1898): Finding Aid
Published in November 2019
- Publisher: United States Naval Academy. Special Collections & Archives.
- Publisher Address:
589 McNair Road
Annapolis, Maryland 21402-5029, USA
- Call number: MS 545
- Location: Special Collections & Archives Department - Manuscripts
- Title: Spanish-American War Scrapbook
- Dates: 1898, 1954
- Bulk Dates: 1898
- Size: 0.08 linear feet
- Container Summary: 1 folder containing 1 volume
- Language(s) of material: English
- Abstract: The Spanish-American War Scrapbook was presumably compiled in 1898. The scrapbook, consisting entirely of clippings from unidentified American newspapers, focuses on the campaigns, battles, and key personnel involved in the Spanish-American War.
Description of Contents
The Spanish-American War Scrapbook, comprising 0.08 linear feet of documentation in a single volume, was presumably compiled in 1898. The scrapbook, consisting entirely of clippings from unidentified American newspapers, focuses on the campaigns, battles, and key personnel involved in the Spanish-American War.
Beginning with the destruction of U.S.S. Maine, the scrapbook progresses roughly in chronological order. Following the Maine, the scrapbook covers Spain's call for the recall of consul-general Fitzhugh Lee; President McKinley's message to Congress and Congress' subsequent declaration of war; the blockade of Cuba, including the capture of the Argonauta; Dewey's victory at the Battle of Manila Bay; the assembling and deployment of American troops to Cuba; the invasion of Guantanamo Bay and subsequent Battle of Las Guasimas; the defeat of Admiral Cervera's fleet at the Battle of Santiago de Cuba; the assault on Puerto Rico under General Nelson Miles; the surrender of Manila; and Spain's ultimate acceptance of American terms and subsequent evacuations from Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Philippines. Also included are articles on the annexation of Hawaii and the prevalence of cases of yellow fever during the war.
Tipped into the scrapbook are two letters pertaining to efforts by Naval Academy Library staff to determine the source publication of the clippings comprising the scrapbook.
The Spanish-American War Scrapbook comprises a single volume, with its contents arranged in chronological order.
Access and Use
Access is unrestricted.
Copyright and Permission
The Spanish-American War Scrapbook is the physical property of Nimitz Library. Copyright belongs to the authors or creators of the works, or their legal representatives. For further information, consult the Head, Special Collections & Archives.
It is the responsibility of the researcher to secure written permission to publish, reprint, or reproduce material from Special Collections & Archives. The researcher assumes responsibility for infringement of copyright or literary or publication rights. Please contact the Head, Special Collections & Archives for permission to publish and for further information.
Acquisition and Appraisal
Provenance and Acquisition
Gift of John P. Bath in August 1954. Accession No. 132266.
Materials Cataloged Separately
No materials have been removed from this collection and cataloged separately.
Processing and Other Information
The Spanish-American War Scrapbook was originally cataloged as E735.S37 1898.
Spanish-American War Scrapbook, MS 545
Special Collections & Archives Department
United States Naval Academy
This collection was processed by David D'Onofrio in November 2019. Finding aid written by David D'Onofrio in November 2019.
Name and Subject Terms
- Manila Bay, Battle of, Philippines, 1898
- Santiago, Battle of, Santiago de Cuba, Cuba, 1898
- Spanish-American War, 1898
- Spanish-American War, 1898 -- Campaigns -- Cuba
- Spanish-American War, 1898 -- Campaigns -- Philippines
- Spanish-American War, 1898 -- Naval operations, American