#028-16 Naval Academy Class of 2020 Arrives for Induction Day
POSTED ON: Monday, June 20, 2016 12:51 PM by email@example.com
WHO: Roughly 1,200 young men and women report as the Naval Academy Class of 2020.
WHEN: Thursday, June 30 beginning at 6 a.m.
WHERE: U.S. Naval Academy’s Alumni Hall, Annapolis, Md.
WHAT: Incoming plebes (freshmen) are processed through various stations in Alumni Hall to become members of the Naval Academy’s Class of 2020. Stations include uniform issue, medical examinations, hair-cuts and learning to salute. The day culminates with the Oath of Office ceremony at 6 p.m. in Tecumseh Court. After the ceremony, plebes will meet with their families for the last time until Plebe Parents’ Weekend, Aug. 11-14. Plebe Summer officially begins at the completion of the Oath of Office ceremony.
For more information about Induction Day and Plebe Summer, please visit http://www.usna.edu/PlebeSummer/index.php.
NOTE TO EDITORS AND REPORTERS: Media planning to cover this event or wishing to interview/photograph plebes, their parents and/or midshipmen first class (seniors) responsible for plebe training need to contact the Public Affairs Office at 410-293-2292 no later than noon, Wednesday, June 29.
Media check-in June 30 for Alumni Hall activities:
• Media Check-in: 5:30 a.m. – 9 a.m.
• Coverage: 6:15 a.m. – 1 p.m.
• Check-in location: Gate 8 (off MD 450), Public Affairs staff will direct to parking and check-in table in lobby of Alumni Hall.
• Media arriving after 9 a.m. should call the Public Affairs Office at 410-293-2292 (cells 443-926-3780 and 443-433-6992 may be used as alternates) to make arrangements to check-in with Public Affairs Office staff. No additional media vehicles will be permitted on the grounds after 9 a.m.
• There is an opportunity to speak to parents. Plebes are available only before check-in at Alumni Hall and after the Oath of Office Ceremony.
Media check-in for Oath of Office Ceremony:
• Media Check-in: 5-5:30 p.m.
• Coverage: 6-7:30 p.m.
• Check-in locations: Walk through Gate 3 (at Maryland Avenue and Hanover Street) or drive on through Gate 8 (Maryland Route 450) where Public Affairs staff will direct you to parking and check-in.
• Throw from the media platform to the podium is approximately 75 feet; throw from the back of the plebes to the podium is approximately 90-100 feet.
Category: Press Releases