057-16 Naval Academy Gears Up for Army-Navy Football
POSTED ON: Thursday, December 1, 2016 3:42 PM by firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE TO EDITORS AND REPORTERS: If you wish to cover the pep rally Dec. 7, please RSVP no later than noon Wednesday, Dec. 7. If you wish to cover the running of the game ball please RSVP no later than 5 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 8.
The ball run and pep rally are NOT open to the general public.
ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- The U.S. Naval Academy will prepare for this year’s Army-Navy football game with a pep rally Wednesday, Dec. 7, at 7 p.m., and the traditional running of the game ball beginning Friday, Dec. 9, at 7 a.m.
Pep Rally - Dec. 7 at 7 p.m.
- The “Beat Army” pep rally and bonfire will be held on Farragut Field with remarks from the Naval Academy’s Superintendent and Commandant.
- Navy football players and cheerleaders will pump-up the crowd of midshipmen and the Naval Academy Drum and Bugle Corps will perform “Anchors Aweigh” at the event.
- The pep rally will conclude with the Brigade of Midshipmen singing the Naval Academy’s alma mater, “Navy Blue and Gold.”
Ball Run – Dec. 9 at 7 a.m.
- Roughly 150 midshipmen of the 13th Company will gather at 7 a.m., Dec. 9, for a motivational kick-off to begin an 88 mile trek from Bancroft Hall through D.C. and up to Baltimore for the 36th running of the Army-Navy game ball.
- The first relay team of midshipmen will be joined by the Naval Academy’s Superintendent as they take their route on foot.
- Midshipmen will run through D.C. and make stops and give remarks at various monuments along the way including the Ulysses S. Grant Memorial, the Navy Memorial, Washington Monument, WWII Memorial, Korean War Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, and will end at the Veteran’s Memorial.
- The Army team will also run a game ball, beginning their trip from West Point. Both teams will run onto the field prior to the start of the game and present each game ball.
- Originating in 1982 as a desire to get the "unlucky" 13th company off the Naval Academy grounds, the Army-Navy ball run has evolved into a highly spirited event, demonstrating the pride and enthusiasm of the entire Brigade of Midshipmen as well as their excitement and support for the Army-Navy football tradition.
Patriot Games – Dec. 9 - 10
- The annual Patriot Games will be held throughout Baltimore Friday, Dec. 9, and carry into Saturday, Dec. 10.
- Approximately 10 midshipmen and 10 cadets participate in the Patriot Games, which gives midshipmen the opportunity to inspire potential military members off the football field by demonstrating applicable military skills through competitions between Naval Academy midshipmen The games test physical strength, endurance, and teamwork and include a zodiac race through the Inner Harbor, leadership reaction courses, tug of war, and a pull-up challenge. A stadium obstacle relay will be held on the football field during the Army Navy game.
- The Army-Navy football game will take place at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, Md., Saturday, Dec. 10, at 3 p.m.
- This year’s game marks the 117th time the Naval Academy’s Midshipmen will compete against West Point’s Black Knights on the football field. The football rivalry began in 1890 with Navy beating Army, 24-0.
- Navy’s record against Army currently stands at 60 wins, 49 losses, and seven ties. Navy currently has a 14 game winning streak against Army.
Category: Press Releases