September 11 Remembrance Events at USNA
POSTED ON: Wednesday, September 6, 2017 12:00 AM by email@example.com
ANNAPOLIS, Md.—Naval Academy midshipmen will participate in the following events as a remembrance to 9-11. These midshipmen are working in conjunction with the Midshipman Action Group, which volunteers thousands of hours in the local community and beyond each year.
Flags on Stribling:
- When: Friday, Sept. 8 beginning at 12:45 p.m.
- Where: Stribling Walk at the Naval Academy
- What: A group of midshipmen will place 2,996 mini American flags on Stribling walk, to represent those lost on 9-11.
- The flags will remain in place throughout the weekend and during the parade Sep. 8, at 4 p.m.
9-11 Day of Service/WWII Memorial Commemoration and Jonas Park Clean-up:
- When: Saturday, Sept. 9 at 8 a.m.
- Where: WWII Memorial on Md. Route 450 overlooking the Naval Academy bridge
- What: More than 100 midshipmen, plus a number of USNA graduates, will honor those lost on 9-11 by participating in the nationwide 9-11 Day of Service. Midshipmen will spend the morning mulching, planting trees, removing rocks, cleaning flower beds and restoring the area around the Maryland World War II Memorial on Rt. 2 in Annapolis.
9-11 “Run to Remember”:
- When: Monday, Sept. 11, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Where: The Naval Academy grounds
- What: Groups of midshipmen will run relays in small groups carrying the American Flag around the grounds of the academy for the entire day, from sunrise until 6 p.m., to honor those lost
9-11 Reflection and Evening Colors in T-Court:
- When: Monday, Sept. 11 beginning at 6 p.m. (Evening Colors, the daily ceremonial lowering of the American Flag, will take place at sunset.)
- Where: T-Court
- What: Midshipmen, faculty and staff are invited to gather in T-Court to share how 9-11 impacted their lives and the lives of their loved ones. After this reflection period there will be a moment of silence led by a USNA chaplain.
Note to Editors and Reporters:
Please contact the Public Affairs Office one day prior at 410-293-2292 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to cover any of the following events. These events offer a fantastic photographic opportunity, as well as a brief opportunity to speak with midshipmen involved.