September 11 Remembrance Events at USNA
POSTED ON: Thursday, September 6, 2018 12:00 PM by Maddie Darbie
ANNAPOLIS, Md.—Naval Academy midshipmen will participate in the following events as a remembrance of 9/11. These midshipmen are working in conjunction with the Midshipman Action Group, which volunteers thousands of hours in the local community and beyond each year. This year the midshipmen will participate in placing American Flags on Stribling Walk, the 9/11 Day of Service, a Flag Run and a 9/11 Honoring Event to conclude the day.
These events are not open for public participation.
Flags on Stribling:
- When: Monday, Sept. 10, beginning at 12:45 m.
- Where: Stribling Walk at the Naval Academy
- What: Midshipmen will place 2,977 mini American flags on Stribling walk, to honor those fallen on 9/11.
- The flags will remain in place through the entire day on 9/11.
9-11 Day of Service/Greenbury Point Indigenous Species Planting
- When: Saturday, Sept. 8, from 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Where: Greenbury Point, at the mouth of the Severn River.
- What: MAG Midshipmen will honor those lost on 9-11 by participating in the nationwide 9/11 Day of Service. Midshipmen will plant over six hundred indigenous sea grasses at Greenburry Point in order to enhance the health of the Bay. MAG will work with the Navy’s Annapolis Office of Public Works, Environmental Office to ensure the plantings are done properly. MAG will also plant two Red Oak trees, and leave an inscribed commemorative stone at Greenbury Point, honoring the lives lost on 9/11.
9-11 “Run to Remember”:
- When: Tuesday, Sept. 11, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Where: The perimeter of the Naval Academy grounds.
- What: Small groups of Midshipmen will run continuously with the U.S. Flag in honor of 9/11 lives lost. At 5:55 p.m., the last runners will run through Stribling and into Tecumseh Court.
9-11 Reflection and Evening Colors in T-Court:
- When: Tuesday, Sept. 11, beginning at 6 p.m. (Evening Colors, the daily ceremonial lowering of the American Flag, will take place at )
- Where: Tecumseh Court
- What: Midshipmen will be lined-up in two columns as the flag is run down the middle and up the stairs of Tecumseh Court. When the U.S. Flag is staged on top of the stairs, Captain Foley will start the ceremony with a moment of silence. The commandant will speak to the audience of midshipmen. Three first responders from Maryland will be present to share stories with midshipmen, faculty and staff, and will be presented a plaque for their service on 9/11.
Note to Editors and Reporters
Please contact the Public Affairs Office one day prior at 410-293-2292 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to cover any of the following events. These events offer a fantastic photographic opportunity, as well as a brief opportunity to speak with midshipmen involved.