Network Account Passwords - Changing Your Password
While logged in to a computer on the USNA mission network:
A network account password can be changed from a Windows computer on the intranet (academy.usna.edu). Since a user must be logged in to do this, the current account password must be known to be able to change it:
- After pressing and holding both the CTRL and ALT keys, press the DELETE key (“CTRL+ALT+DELETE”),
- Then select Change Password.
Using the self-service Password Portal:
The password portal is accessible from a link on the USNA A-Z index web page. It offers the following self-service capabilities for a standard, non-privileged-user network account:
- Enroll in the self-service system (one-time enrollment, which then allows a user to Reset and Unlock after answering personalized identity questions).
- Change a password (if the current password is known). A password can only be changed once per day.
- Reset a password (if the current password was forgotten). This option will then require a user to immediately change the password, which can only be done once per day. You must be currently enrolled in the Password Portal system to use Reset .
- Unlock an account (if it was locked due to incorrect password attempts). You must be currently enrolled in the Password Portal system to use Unlock.
It is Important That Users Enroll:
If a user is not enrolled a password cannot be Reset and an account cannot be Unlocked from off-Yard, regardless of whether you are on sabbatical, an exchange student, or otherwise dislocated from the Yard. The Password Portal is provided to service exactly these circumstances. You should enroll!
If you are otherwise unable to change your network account password it can only be done by verifying your identity face-to-face with a designated member of the Cybersecurity Workforce during normal working hours. For questions about passwords you may contact the ITSC in Ward Hall G1 (410-293-3500) .