Dr. Rajratan Basu
The United States Naval Academy, Department of Physics
572c Holloway Road, Annapolis, MD 21402
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: (410) 293-6664, Chauvenet Hall 296
- Lab: (410) 293-6684, Chauvenet Hall 044
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Massachusetts (2005 - 2010)
- Ph.D., Physics; Dissertation: "Dielectric Studies of Nanostructures and Directed self-assembled Nanomaterials in Nematic Liquid Crystals"
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (2003 - 2005)
- M.Sc., Physics; Thesis: "Fabrication and characterization of porous silicon and porous alumina by two-step anodization technique"
- Presidency College, Calcutta (2000 - 2003)
- B.Sc., Physics
- Associate Professor, U.S. Naval Academy (2017 - present)
- Assistant Professor, U.S. Naval Academy (2012 - 2017)
- Post Doctoral Scholar, Case Western Reserve University (May 2010 - July 2012)
- Interactions between softmatter and nanomaterials
- Directed self-assembly of nanomaterials (e.g. carbon nanotubes, quantum dots, nanorods etc.) in liquid crystalline media
- Development of novel NEMS, nano-switches, and nano-electromechanical memory functions using nanoparticle-doped liquid crystals
- Chirality (chirality transfer in liquid crystals from various substrates and nano materials)
- Order-disorder phenomena in liquid crystals
- Liquid crystal phases and phase transitions
- Office of Naval Research Electronic Warfare S&T Discovery and Invention Program (Co-I; Collaboration with Naval Research Lab, PI Dr. Christopher Spillmann), "Refractive Non-Mechanical Beam Steering in the Mid-wavelength and long-wavelength infrared", 2015 - 2018; award # N0001416WX00216
- Office of Naval Research (Co-PI with Dr. Peter Brereton), UMBC-USNA Cyber Innovation Grant, "A hybrid semiconductor-soft matter device as a route to a scalable, self-assembled spin register for optical quantum error correction", 2015 - 2018; award # N0001415WX01534, N0001416WX01530, N0001417WX01519
- Office of Naval Research, Division 312: Electronic Sensors and Network Research, 2014; award # N0001414WX20791
- Office of Naval Research through the Naval Academy Research Council, 2014; award # N001614WX30023
- Office of Naval Research through the Naval Academy Research Council, 2013; award # N001613WX20992
Professional Affiliation and Service:
- Editorial Board Member: Crystals (ISSN 2073-4352, http://www.mdpi.com/journal/crystals); Section Liquid Crystals, http://www.mdpi.com/journal/crystals/sectioneditors/liquid_crystals
- Reviewer: Applied Physics Letters, Journal of Applied Physics, Liquid Crystals, Physical Review E, ACS Nano, Nanoscale, Carbon, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, Crystals, RSC Advances, Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, Soft Materials, Optical materials Express, The Journal of Physical Chemistry, Indian Journal of Physics.
Scientific affiliation: American Physical Society, Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society (induction).
- Elected Research Professor of the Year 2017, Department of Physics, USNA.
- Research featured on the Journal Cover of Liquid Crystal (# 97, 199 (2012)), February 2012 issue.
- Outstanding PhD Dissertation Award, The Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society, WPI chapter; April, 2010.
- First Prize in ‘Science’ category in the University at the Annual Graduate Research Achievement Day (GRAD) - 2009, WPI; April, 2009.
- Second Prize in poster competition at the Nanomanufacturing Summit 2009, NSF - National Nanomanufacturing Network Annual Meeting, Boston, MA; May, 2009.
- Selected as one of the most experienced and excellent Teaching Assistants (TAs) in the University to mentor the new TAs, WPI; August, 2009.
- The Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society, elected associate member; May, 2009.
- Best Teaching Assistant Award (based on student evaluations) for the academic year of 2007-2008, Department of Physics, WPI; May, 2008.
News and Media Releases:
Press release: "Scientists use transparent graphene electrodes to cleanse ionic impurities in liquid crystal displays (LCDs)": Nano Werk Nanotech Spotlight series, 24th October 2017. Reference: Appl. Phys. Lett. 111, 161905 (2017).
Press release: "Using graphene as transparent electrodes and alignment layers for liquid crystal devices": Nano Werk Nanotech Spotlight series, 11 July 2017. Reference: Phys. Rev. E 96, 012702 (2017).
Dr. Basu was promoted to Associate Professor, March 28, 2017. http://usnatrident.blogspot.com/2017/03/
Press release: "Connecting two electrodes by liquid crystal-guided carbon nanotube wires": Nano Werk Nanotech Spotlight series, 1st November 2016. Reference: J. Appl. Phys. Lett. 120, 164309 (2016).
Press release: "Nano-electromechanical rotation of graphene in a liquid crystal platform": Nano Werk Nanotech Spotlight series, 25th May 2015. Reference: Appl. Phys. Lett. 106, 201909 (2015).
Press release: “Cleansing the ionic impurities in LCDs with nanoparticles": Nano Werk Nanotech Spotlight series, 16th October 2014. Reference: Appl. Phys. Lett. 105, 151905 (2014).
FNPs' ion-trapping process
___________________________Visit https://www.usna.edu/Users/physics/basu/research.php#fndtn-panel6NewsPress for the complete list of press releases!