United States Naval Academy Mission
"To develop Midshipmen morally, mentally and physically and to imbue them with the highest ideals of duty, honor and loyalty in order to graduate leaders who are dedicated to a career of naval service and have potential for future development in mind and character to assume the highest responsibilities of command, citizenship and government."
Our research seeks to develop a fundamental understanding of how fuel composition impacts fuel properties and combustion behavior in (diesel) engines of interest to the military. This work is ultimately directed at developing the ability to predict the properties and performance of a fuel given knowledge of its chemical composition; this would, in turn, greatly facilitate the “fit for purpose” determination of fuels in specific Naval engines. Student work on projects in the following areas:
- Compositional analysis of fuels
- Diesel engine combustion of fuels
- Modeling of fuel physical properties
- Physical and chemical property measurement of fuels
- Surrogate fuel mixture formulation with property measurement and combustion