McCain Funeral and Burial At USNA Closed to Public/ Media
POSTED ON: Friday, August 31, 2018 12:54 PM by email@example.com
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The funeral and burial services for Senator John McCain to be held Sunday, Sept. 2, will be closed to the public and the media at the request of the McCain family. In an effort to respect the family’s wishes, the Naval Academy will make the following changes to normal operations Sunday, Sept. 2:
- USNA will remain open to the public as usual Sunday morning, and will change to limited public access beginning at 1 p.m.
- Beginning at 1 p.m., the following restrictions will be in place:
- Gate 3 and Gate 8 will be closed to incoming vehicles at 1 p.m. (Gate 1 will remain open to all vehicles for the duration of the day).
- Gate 3 and Gate 8 will be closed to all pedestrians, to include the turnstile access point at Gate 3. (Gate 1 will remain open to all pedestrians)
- Those persons who typically exercise on the yard (runners, walkers, dog-walkers, etc.) are discouraged to do so after 1 p.m. due to the limited access and shortened routes. However, the loop around Farragut Field and Dewey Seawall accessed by Gate 1 will remain open.
- The museum at Preble Hall will be closed all day Sunday and will re-open Monday as previously scheduled.
- The Visitor Center and Gift Shop will remain open, but no tours will be offered Sunday. There will be limited access to the yard by all visitors. Changes include: No access to the chapel, crypt, museum, and Gate 3 beginning at 1 p.m. Tour groups from the City of Annapolis who typically enter the yard for tours, will not access the yard for tours Sunday.
- Hospital Point (to include the cemetery, athletic fields, footbridge and seawall areas) will be closed to all personnel. Marine traffic is requested to remain clear of College Creek.
- Road closures outside of USNA Gates for the funeral procession/motorcade route will be released Saturday, Sept. 1.
- Sunday morning religious services in the Chapel will occur as previously scheduled.
- Drydock Restaurant in Dahlgren Hall will remain open for normal operating hours.
- Navy sports events will play as scheduled. Visit www.navysports.com for more info. MORE
The official motorcade route of the funeral procession is scheduled to be released at this time by the McCain family and/or McCain’s office. We understand the public’s desire to line the procession route to pay their respects to the McCain family. For those seeking to do so, we ask that you please be mindful of traffic laws and remain at a safe distance from the roadways at all times. Please do not park vehicles illegally on roadways, or attempt to walk across roadways illegally.
For more information about the USNA Cemetery, visit https://www.usna.edu/Cemetery/
For more information about the services for Senator McCain, visit https://www.johnmccain.com/.