Prepare to submit your hotline complaint
If you have determined the issue is appropriate for an IG investigation, gather the information you will need to submit your complaint. An IG will ask you to provide following information:
- Who...Service member's or employee's full name, rank/grade, and duty station.
- What...Specific wrongdoing and why you believe the activity was misconduct, to include the rule, regulation or law you think they violated.
- Where...Location where the wrongdoing occurred.
- When...Specific dates and times.
- How much... Estimated dollar loss.
- Why and how...Describe why and how you believe the individual perpetrated the offense.
- What you have done to try to resolve the issue. What you want the IG to do.
- Remember, the more detailed information you provide the better we can assist you.
You should first attempt to resolve problems using the United States Naval Academy chain of command and other local resources. Seek assistance from the legal staff, union representative, chaplain, human resource personnel, equal opportunity advisor, or your immediate supervisor.