The foundation of our physics majors program is designed around five main learning outcomes. These outcomes encapsulate our vision of graduates as leaders who are technically competent in the application of physics principles to the challenges of the fleet and the Marine Corps under all operating conditions, during peacetime and at war. The learning outcomes are to:
(1) Demonstrate detailed knowledge and comprehension of the principles of introductory and intermediate classical physics.
(2) Demonstrate the ability to apply and synthesize the principles of introductory and intermediate classical physics for higher-order problem solving and experimental analysis.
(3) Demonstrate knowledge and comprehension of the principles of introductory quantum, relativistic and statistical physics and the associated mathematical methods.
(4) Fashion and carry out experiments to evaluate known principles in classical and modern physics.
(5) Apply and synthesize the principles of classical or modern physics to novel research and/or a curricular capstone research experience.