Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics
Mission of the STEM Center
- The mission of the STEM Center is to support DoD workforce development and address an urgent Navy and national need for more young people to pursue careers in science and engineering.
- The Center provides outreach to local, national, and international communities to engage and educate students and teachers in critical engineering and science topics, and to promote a growing STEM workforce with required skillsets to meet future national and DoD challenges.
- The Center collaborates on STEM efforts across USNA as well as other federal government agencies and educational organizations.
- The Center acts as a focal point for recruiting USNA STEM majors by introducing midshipmen to the rewarding aspects of science and engineering, and to encourages retention of STEM majors by engaging them in educational outreach.
- The Center provides midshipmen participants various intellectual challenges by creating opportunities for them to learn STEM theory and application, as well as by reinforcing lessons learned in the classroom.
- The Center offers midshipmen a chance to lead in the classroom; involvement in Center programs includes learning how to design, set up, and execute experiments, field challenging questions, and develop an understanding of the underlying theory, all of which strengthens creative problem solving skills and the ability to respond to unanticipated situations.
- The STEM Center supports all programs that contribute to the knowledge, study, and research of STEM education at the United States Naval Academy.