The application for the 2021 Summer STEM program is now closed
Thinking of a career as a coder, game developer, designer, or robotics engineer? Then start with the experience of a world-class program like the Naval Academy’s Summer STEM Program.
STEM is all about exploring, creating, building, and making things better, and at our Summer STEM Program, you’ll do just that. You’ll work with students from all over the country as you test your problem-solving, creativity, and collaboration skills.
The application will close on March 31, 2021.
* We are aware that some school districts are still in session during our programs. Unfortunately we cannot adjust our dates given facility availability and our midshipman training schedules..
** Sessions vary by grade level and students may only attend the designated session for their grade.
Top 5 Reasons to Attend Summer STEM5. Interact with USNA Midshipmen
4. Design and Build Exciting STEM Projects
3. Learn from USNA Faculty
2. Meet New Friends
1. Experience STEM with the #1 Top Public College in the Country and #5 "Best Undergraduate Engineering Program" in the Country (released 2021 U.S. News & World Report College Ranking Report)
For over 30 years, before STEM was being promoted, the Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) has been advancing events and activities and offering scholarships designed to excite students to become engineers.
SAME, in collaboration with the military services, offers a series of week long, STEM Engineering & Construction Camps designed for High School students who excel in math, science and technology courses and are interested in pursuing engineering, architecture, or related fields in college.
Each of our camps has their unique curriculum, with the common thread being: challenging environment, hands-on activities, mentors who are young engineers, long term resources for alumni.
For more information visit the SAME website.
What we’re looking for:
- Students entering 9th - 11th grade
- Evidence of strong accomplishments inside and outside the classroom
- Strong academic performance
- Strong PSAT, SAT or ACT scores (where applicable)
- A strong interest in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
The week of Summer STEM will provide participants with the opportunity to grow in character, academics, and teamwork.
Monday: Welcome, Strike Group Formation, Virtual Walking/Talking Tour, Virtual USNA Museum Tour, Introduction to USNA Academics and Majors
Tuesday: STEM Academic Modules, USNA Office of Admissions Q&A Session
Wednesday: STEM Academic Modules, “What is Character“ Travis Manion Foundation
Thursday: STEM Academic Modules, Parent Panel Q&A with Program Officer Leadership
Friday: Strike Group Farewell, STEM All Stars Challenge, Closing Ceremony
* STEM Academic Modules include the opportunity to:
- Build a bioreactor and harness the power of yeast fermentation to produce biofuels.
- Design and build a hydraulic machine to address an engineering challenge.
- Dive into principles of buoyancy and naval architecture.
- Meet a programming challenge by writing your own code!
- And much, much more!