Skip to main content Skip to footer site map
Military Personnel
Military Personnel

Residence Hunting

6810400 - Permissive TAD Authorization for Residence Hunting

  1. Commanding Officers are authorized to issue permissive temporary additional duty (TAD) authorizations for the purpose of residence hunting.  The intent of permissive TAD authorization is to permit service members time away from their present permanent duty station (PDS) geographical area to establish housing within the area of the new PDS and/or at a designated place when movement of dependents to a designated place is authorized under Joint Federal Travel Regulations (JFTR), paragraph U5222-D.  Upon receipt of permanent change of station (PCS) orders, TAD may be authorized for up to 5 normal work days prior to execution of a PCS move.  This TAD period may be extended to a total of 10 calendar days when combined with weekends, holidays, and liberty.
  2. Service members eligible for permissive TAD under this article are those:
    1. Authorized to occupy non-Government quarters at their new PDS.
    2. Assigned to unusually arduous sea duty (SECNAVINST 4650.19B and OPNAVINST 4600.16E) or to unaccompanied tours overseas who wish to relocate their families to a designated place within the continental United States or an approved designated place outside the continental United States under JFTR, paragraph U5222-D.
    3. Assigned to a vessel, ship-based staff, afloat-based mobile unit which has a change of home port or a shore-based mobile unit which has a change of PDS location
  3. Normally one permissive residence hunting TAD is authorized per PCS move but the commanding officer of the continental United States (CONUS) activities and afloat units, staffs and mobile units when in CONUS, may authorize an additional residence hunting authorization in CONUS.  When two residence hunting periods are authorized, a total of 10 calendar days, consisting of 5 normal workdays combined with weekends, holidays, and liberty, shall not be exceeded for both permissive TAD periods.  It may not be combined with PCS-funded TAD travel, with the following exception. If authorized by the commanding officer, a service member permanently stationed outside CONUS in receipt of PCS orders, may combine funded TAD orders and permissive residence hunting TAD.  When this occurs, the transoceanic/international portion of the journey must be performed under the funded TAD site. Funded TAD orders shall not be issued solely to fund transoceanic/international portion of the journey of residence hunting trip.  Overseas service member must return to old PDS upon completion of funded TAD orders/permissive residence hunting TAD to execute PCS orders.  While executing permissive TAD from the funded TAD site, any additional costs incurred, other than transportation for return from the funded TAD sited to the old PDS, are the responsibility of the member.  Member and one dependent family member to travel with the service member utilizing Space A, Category 2B when permissive TAD is granted for the sole purpose of residence hunting incident to a pending PCS.  In no case may the dependent travel at government expense with the overseas service member who is traveling under combined funded official TAD orders and permissive residence hunting TAD.  Funded TAD orders  written to provide a permissive residence hunting TAD trip for an overseas service member must always specify the exact dates of funded TAD and permissive TAD periods authorized and also contain the following clause:

    "This permissive TAD authorization combined with funded TAD orders is issued with the understanding that you will not be entitled to reimbursement for any travel, transportation, per diem, or miscellaneous expenses incurred in execution of the permissive TAD period authorized while away from the funded TAD site.  You are entitled to travel and transportation allowances according to Joint Federal Travel Regulations, Volume 1, paragraph U3200 between the old PDS and funded TAD site and return to old PDS.  If you do not desire to bear the expenses personally incurred during the permissive TAD period authorized, you may choose not to execute the permissive TAD portion of these orders."

    Permissive TAD may be combined with leave.  If the new PDS is changed after the member's permissive residence hunting TAD, an additional permissive TAD period may be authorized at the discretion of the transferring or receiving command.

  4. All travel and transportation costs associated with the residence hunting TAD must be borne by the service member.  TAD authorizations must indicate the member is not entitled to reimbursement (see MILPERSMAN 1810280.5). Service members are authorized use of Space "A" travel on MAC or Navy aircraft.  Time spent awaiting Government transportation following the authorized TAD period is chargeable as leave.  If Government transportation is unavailable, service members must travel at their own expense and must return to the command by the expiration of the authorized TAD/leave period.
  5. Permissive TAD authorizations for residence hunting shall not be permitted as part of funded official orders except as described in paragraph 3 for a service member permanently assigned outside CONUS.  Permissive TAD for residence hunting is not authorized during the service member's execution of PCS orders.  If the service member does not perform the residence hunting TAD period may be authorized by the commanding officer of the new PDS after the service member reports for duty.  The commanding officer at the new PDS may authorize special liberty for the purpose of locating quarters per MILPERSMAN 3030150 in lieu of a residence hunting TAD authorization.
  6. Service members must report to the local housing officer serving the new PDS prior to signing any non-Government housing agreement(s).
  7. Residence hunting trips are not authorized for members who are:
    1. New accessions to active duty.
    2. Being released from active duty.
    3. Retiring.
    4. Receiving PCS orders to continue medical treatment.
    5. Transferred overseas-to-overseas when dependents must vacate Government quarters but remain at or in the vicinity of the former overseas PDS.
    6. Required to occupy Government quarters at their new PDS.
    7. Transferred within the local area as defined by the following criteria:
      1. both the old and new PDSs are located within the corporate limits of the same city or town; and/or
      2. the service member will continue to commute between the current residence and the new PDS; and/or
      3. the commanding officer determines that the home and the new PDS are located within reasonable commuting distance of each other and the duty involved does not require the member to relocate.
    8. Relocating dependents, presently located within the old PDS geographical areas, to another location within the old PDS geographical area.  For the purpose of this article, geographical area is defined as the area where a member could commute daily from a residence to a PDS.
    9. Have already established housing in the new PDS geographical area.
go to Top