Retirement requests are now completed via NSIPS, and a format for the request letter is contained in MILPERSMAN 1810-020. The retiring officer should forward their request to Officer Personnel via NSIPS, with appropriate documentation attached to the request, and via hard copy through their chain of command using a blue chop sheet and following the format guidelines in MILPERSMAN 1810-020. Requests should be submitted 9-12 months before the Projected Rotation Date (PRD) if the desired retirement date matches the PRD. Contact Officer Personnel at x3-1552 for additional inquiries.
After the request is approved by BUPERS and retirement orders are received the retiree should:
- Contact the Command Career Counselor at x9838 to arrange an appointment to complete the Pre-separation Counseling Checklist (DD Form 2648). This counseling is a prerequisite to scheduling the Transition Assistance Program at the Family Service Center.
- Schedule TAP class by FFSC at x2641. Again, the DD Form 2648 must be signed by the Command Career Counselor in order to attend.
- Work on the retirement check-out sheet and visit Halligan Hall to discuss credit card issues.
- Retirees are eligible for 20 days Permissive TDY for House/Job Hunting. The Personnel office will need a copy of the no-cost TAD orders to cover this time period.
- Schedule a retirement physical through the Naval Medical Clinic 6-12 months before the retirement date.
- IMPORTANT: Your DD-214 will not become available for review and signature until after your entire retirement package has been submitted to PSD Norfolk. The new process includes a reviewing of your DD-214 on NSIPS, and after the review process is complete, you will finalize and sign your DD-214 in Bupers Online - Navy Personnel Command Document Services.
- Your last FITREP in the Navy will be marked "APPROVED" in Block 21. If you are retiring outside of the standard reporting period and did not receive an "APPROVED" FITREP, you will receive a "Detachment of Individual" report with "APPROVED" annotated in Block 21. For any questions, contact x3-1552.
- If moving, visit the move.mil website.
- The Personnel Office will prepare two retirement certificates when they are received from the Bureau, one signed by the President and one signed by the CNP.
- Letters of Appreciation are available in the office for immediate family members. Submit the correct spelling of the names, date of ceremony and length of service at least two months prior to ceremony date.
If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to call x3-1552. Also, consult the Navy Personnel Command website for additional information concerning Officer Retirements.