Luksa Luznik, Ph.D.
Mechanical Engineering Department
United States Naval Academy
590 Holloway Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-5042
The Johns Hopkins University, 2006
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering
Dissertation "Turbulence Characteristics of a Tidally Driven Bottom Boundary Layer of the Coastal Ocean"
Memorial University of Newfoundland, 1997
Masters of Engineering, Ocean Engineering
Memorial University of Newfoundland, 1995
Bachelor of Engineering, Naval Architecture
Turbulence and mixing in homogeneous and stratified flows
Marine current turbines
Optical flow measurement and visualization techniques
Coastal oceanography, ocean observatories
Pi Tau Sigma Teaching Excellence Award, 2014
American Physics Society, Division of Fluid Dynamics
American Geophysical Union
Oceanic Engineering Society (OES)
Recent Journal Publications:
• Walker, J. M., Flack, K., Lust, E. E., Schultz, M.P., Luznik, L. (2014),” The Effects of Blade Roughness and Fouling on Marine Current Turbine Performance, “Renewable Energy, Vol. 66, p 257-267
• Lust, E.E., Luznik, L., Flack, K.A., Walker, J.M., Van Benthem, M.C. (2013), “The Influence of Surface Gravity Waves on Marine Current Turbine Performance,” International Journal of Marine Energy, 3-4, p 27-40.
• Luznik, L., Brownell, C.J., Snyder, M.R., and Kang, H.S. (2013), "The influence of the atmospheric surface layer on turbulent flow downstream of a ship superstructure," Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 30, p 1803–1819. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JTECH-D-12-00216.1.
• Luznik, L, Flack, K.A., Lust, E.E., Taylor, K.C. (2013), “The Effect of Surface Waves on the Performance Characteristics of a Model Tidal Turbine,” Renewable Energy, Vol. 58, p 108-114 doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2013.02.022.
• Brownell, C.J., Luznik, L., Snyder, M.R., Kang, H.S., and Wilkinson, C.H. (2012), "In situ air velocity measurements in the near wake of a ship superstructure," Journal of Aircraft, 49 (5).
• Hackett, E.E., Luznik, L., Nayak, A.R., Katz, J., Osborn, T.R. (2011), “Field Measurements of Turbulence at an Unstable Interface Between Current and Wave Bottom Boundary Layers,” Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans, 116, C02022, doi:10.1029/2010JC006138.
• Hackett, E.E., Luznik, L., Katz, J., Osborn, T.R. (2009), “Effect of Finite Spatial Resolution on the Energy Turbulent Spectrum Measured in the Coastal Ocean Bottom Boundary Layer,” Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 26, p 2610-2625.