Joel Schubbe, Ph.D.
Mechanical & Nuclear Engineering Department
United States Naval Academy
590 Holloway Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-5042
410 293 6426
Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT), 1997
Doctor of Philosophy, Aeronautical Engineering
Dissertation: "Thickness effects on a cracked aluminum plate with composite patch repair"
Air Force Institute of Technology, 1990
Masters of Science, Aeronautical Engineering
U.S. Air Force Academy, 1986
Bachelors of Science, Engineering Sciences
Fatigue and Fracture
- W. Baker, J. J. Schubbe, M.E. Hamp, and K. E. Knipling, “Microstructural Characterization of Additively Manufactured Inconel 625,” Microsc. Microanal. 22 (Suppl 3), 2016, DOI:10.1017/S1431927616010643.
- J. Schubbe, S.H. Bolstad, S. Reyes, “Fatigue crack growth behavior of aerospace and ship-grade aluminum repaired with composite patches in a corrosive environment,” Composite Structures 144 (2016) 44–56, DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2016.01.107.J. Schubbe, “Naval Academy Attacks Corrosion with Education and Research,” Advanced Materials & Processes Journal, June 2014.
- J. Schubbe, S.N. Westmoreland, “Effects of Chromate and Non-chomate Coating Systems on Environmentally-Assisted Fatigue of an Aluminum Alloy”, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, DOI 10.1007/s11665-014-1159-5.
- L. Jones, M.G. Koul, J.J. Schubbe, “An Evaluation of the Corrosion and Mechanical Performance of Interstitially Surface Hardened Stainless Steel”, DOI: 10.1007/s11665-014-0943-6, 28 March 2014, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance.
- J. J. Schubbe, "Fatigue Crack Propagation in 7050-T7451 Plate Alloy (U)" Engineering Fracture Mechanics 76 (May 2009) 1037-1048; DOI: 10.1016/j.engfracmech.2009.01.006
- J. J. Schubbe, "Evaluation of fatigue life and crack growth rates in 7050-T7451 aluminum plate for T-L and L-S oriented failure under truncated spectra loading (U)", Engineering Failure Analysis 16 (Jan 2009) 340-349, DOI: 10.1016/j.engfailanal.2008.05.009
- J. J. Schubbe and S. Mall, "Investigation of a cracked thick aluminum panel with a bonded composite patch (U)", Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol 63, (1999) pp 305-323.
- J. J. Schubbe and S. Mall, "Modeling of cracked thick metallic structure with bonded composite patch repair using three-layer technique (U)", Composite Structures, Vol 45, pp 185-193, 22 Jun 1999.
Defense Meritorious Service Medal - 2006