CAPT Brad W. Baker, PhD
Permanent Military Professor
Mechanical Engineering Department
United States Naval Academy
590 Holloway Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-5042
Naval Postgraduate School, 2013
Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering
Dissertation: "Processing, Microstructure, and Material Properties
Relationships Following Friction Stir Welding of Oxide Dispersion
National Defense University, 2007
Masters of Science, Joint Campaign Planning and Strategy
United States Naval Academy, 1994
Bachelors of Science, Marine Engineering
Material Properties Characterization
Permanent Military Professor, U.S. Naval Academy (Oct 2013 - Present)
- Director MakerSpaceUSNA (May 2016 – Present)
- Divisional Materials Laboratory Director (May 2013 - Present)
- Associate Chair (2017-2018)
Nuclear Trained Submarine Officer, U.S. Navy, (May 1994 - Jul 2010)
- Executive Officer: USS PHILADLEPHIA (SSN 690)
- Engineering Officer: PCU NORTH CAROLINA (SSN 777) and USS LOUISIANA (SSBN 743)
- Division Officer: USS MIAMI (SSN 755)
Enlisted Nuclear Trained Machinist Mate, U.S. Navy, (Sep 1988 - Jun 1990)
- Getto, E., Baker, B., Tobie, B., Briggs, S., Hattar, K. and Knipling, K., 2019. Effect of friction stir welding and self-ion irradiation on dispersoid evolution in oxide dispersion strengthened steel MA956 up to 25 dpa. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 515, pp.407-419.
- Baker, B., and Wisdom, K., Additively Manufactured Ti-6Al4V before and after Hot Isostatic Pressing, World Journal of Engineering and Technology 9.2 (2021): 268-284.
- M. Wiechec, B. W. Baker, T. R. McNelley, M. J. Matthews, A. Rubenchik, M. Rotter, et al., "Analysis of High-Power Diode Laser Heating Effects on HY-80 Steel for Laser Assisted Friction Stir Welding Applications," World Journal of Engineering and Technology, vol. 5, pp. 97-112, 2017.
- H. Hack, R. Link, E. Knudsen, B. Baker, and S. Olig, "Mechanical properties of additive manufactured nickel alloy 625," Additive Manufacturing, vol. 14, pp. 105-115, 3// 2017
- B. W. Baker and L. N. Brewer, "Joining of Oxide Dispersion Strengthened Steels for Advanced Reactors," Journal of Materials, December 2014.
- B. W. Baker and L. N. Brewer, "Evaluation of liquid metal embrittlement susceptibility of oxide dispersion strengthened steel MA956," Journal of Nuclear Materials, vol. 453, pp. 239-246, 10// 2014. (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S002231151400453X)
- Baker, B. W., et al. (2014). "Grain size and particle dispersion effects on the tensile behavior of friction stir welded MA956 oxide dispersion strengthened steel from low to elevated temperatures." Materials Science and Engineering: A 589(0): 217-227. (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921509313010861)
- Baker, B. W., et al. (2013). “Influence of Heat Input on Friction Stir Welding for the ODS Steel MA956” in Friction Stir Welding and Processing VII. Eds: R. S. Mishra, M. W. Mahoney, S. Yutaka, Y. Hovanski and R. Verma, Wiley.