Prof. Michelle Koul, Ph.D.
Mechanical & Nuclear Engineering Department
United States Naval Academy
590 Holloway Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-5042
410 293 6532
University of Virginia, 1997
Doctor of Philosophy, Materials Science Engineering
Dissertation: "Investigation of the Metallurgical Factors Affecting
Hydrogen Embrittlement of Solution Heat Treated and Aged
Ti-3Al-8V-6Cr-4Mo-4Zr (wt. %) Employing Fracture, Microscopy
and Desorption Methods"
University of Virginia, 1993
Masters of Science, Mechanical Engineering
Dissertation: “Characterization of the Distribution of Microstructural Sensitization Levels in AISI 304 Stainless Steel and Its Influence on Intergranular Stress Corrosion Cracking Resistance”
State University of New York, 1990
Bachelors of Science, Physics
Materials and Metallurgy
Professor, U.S. Naval Academy Dept of Nuclear and Mechanical Engineering (Apr. 2000 - Present)
- Mentoring Committee (Sept. 2022 - Present)
- Promotion and Tenure Committee (Sept. 2022 - Present)
- Mathematics Department Ombud (Sept. 2018 - Sept. 2022)
- At-Large Division Faculty Senator, Secretary, Vice President and President (May 2012 - May 2018)
- Program Director ( Sept. 2014 - Sept. 2016)
- Senior Academic Advisor (Sept. 2008 - Apr. 2014)
- Gaduate Education Advisor (Sept. 2007 - Apr. 2014)
Materials Engineer, Fatigue and Fracture Branch, Naval Surface Warfare Center (June 97 - March 00)
- E. Getto, R. Santucci, J. Gibbs, R. Link, E. Retzlaff, B. Baker, M. Koul, B. Croom, T. Montalbano, S. Storck, E. Cimpoiasu, E. Farnan, “Powder Plasma Spheroidization Treatment and the Characterization of Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of SS 316L Powder and L-PBF Builds,” Powder Technology, 2022, submitted.
- E. Getto, E. Farnan, J. Gibbs, J. McLaughlin, M. Koul, R. Santucci, T. Gray, “Elucidating the Effect of Build and Build Direction on the Corrosion of Selective Laser Sintered Additively Manufactured 316L Stainless Steel,” Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Environmental Degradation of Materials in Nuclear Power, AMPP, July 2022.
- R. Santucci, E. Getto (presenters), M. Koul, B. Baker, J. Gibbs, R. Link, A. Shumway, J. McLaughlin, “Effect of Plasma Spheroidization on the Corrosion Performance of Additively Manufactured 316L Stainless Steel,” Presented at a Nuclear Regulatory Commission Workshop (virtual) on Additive Manufacturing, Dec 8, 2020.
- Panick, M. Koul “Constant Extension Rate Testing of Additively Manufactured 17-4PH Steel,” Proceedings from the DOD Allied Nations Technical Corrosion Conference, August 2019.
- JONES, Jennifer L.*, KOUL, Michelle G., SCHUBBE, Joel J. (USNA), “An Evaluation of the Corrosion and Mechanical Performance of Interstitially Surface Hardened Stainless Steels,”
- KOUL, Michelle, SHEETZ, Andrew (NSWCCD), AULT, Pete, REPP, John (Elzly Technology Corporation), WHITFIELD, Angela (NSWCCD), “The Effect of Zn-Rich Coatings on the Structural Performance of High Strength Armor Steel,” Corrosion, April 2014, Vol. 70, No. 4, pp. 337-350.
- KOUL, Michelle, GAIES, Jennifer (NSWCCD), “An Environmentally Assisted Cracking Evaluation of UNS C64200 (Al–Si–Bronze) and UNS C63200 (Ni–Al–Bronze),” Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention, Volume 13, No. 1. pp. 8-19, 2013.
- KOUL, Michelle, KNUDSEN, Erik, (Northrop Grumman), “An Environmentally Assisted Cracking Evaluation of a Large IN725 Forging Under Cathodic Protection Conditions,” Corrosion, Volume 68, pp. 449-460, 2012.
National Association of Corrosion Engineers Fellow (Mar. 2018)
Best paper, Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention (OCT.2014)
Best paper by a young author, Campbell Award, National Association of Corrosion Engineers (SEP.2004)
National Association of Corrosion Engineers (Now the Association for Materials Protection and Performance)
Materials Science and Technology
Association for Iron & Steel Technology
The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society