Cody J. Brownell, Ph.D.
United States Naval Academy
590 Holloway Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-5042
410 293 6525
The Johns Hopkins University, 2008
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering
Dissertation: "Imaging of multi-species fluid mixing in turbulent flows"
The Johns Hopkins University, 2005
Masters of Science, Mechanical Engineering
Duke University, 2002
Bachelors of Science, Mechanical Engineering
High Energy Laser interactions with water drops
Laser heating of structural materials
Optical measurement techniques for fluid velocity and scalar concentration
Turbulent free shear flows - wakes jets, mixing layers
Fluid Flow in Biology
High Energy Laser Physics and Applications
- Egan, B., Brownell, C.J., and Murray, M.M., "Experimental assessment of performance characteristics for pitching flexible foil propulsors." forthcoming in Journal of Fluids and Structures, 2016.
- Tracey, T.E., and Brownell, C.J., "Laser heating and vaporization of a levitated water drop." Proceedings of the International Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Montreal, Canada, August 2016.
- Garcia, J., Joyce, P., and Brownell, C.J., "Thermal damage behind HEL irradiated CFRP skin." forthcoming in Journal of Directed Energy, 2016.
- Guzman, C., Brownell, C.J., and Kommer, E.M., "The magnus effect and the American football." Sports Engineering 19(1), 2016.
- Brownell, C.J., "Measurement of infiltration heat recovery in a test cell with high flow rates." Journal of Building Physics, 38(4), 2015
- Luznik, L., Brownell, C.J., Snyder, M.R., and Kang, H.S., "The influence of the atmospheric surface layer on turbulent flow downstream of a ship superstructure." Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 80 (8), 2013.
- Snyder, M.R., Kang, H.S., Brownell, C.J., and Burks, J., "Validation of ship airwake simulations and investigation of ship airwake impact on rotary wing aircraft." Naval Engineers Journal, 125 (1), 2013.
- Brownell, C.J., Luznik, L., Snyder, M.R., Kang, H.S., and Wilkinson, C.H., "In situ air velocity measurements in the near wake of a ship superstructure." Journal of Aircraft, 49 (5), 2012.
- Brownell, C.J., Luznik, L., Snyder, M.R., and Kang, H.S. “Velocity measurements in a ship airwake with crosswind.” AIAA Paper 2012-2851, 42nd AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference, New Orleans, LA, June 2012.
- Brownell, C.J., Su, L.K., "Combined planar Rayleigh scattering and planar laser-induced fluorescence measurements of multiple mole fraction fields in a turbulent jet." Measurement Science and Technology, 22, 085402, 2011.
- Su, L.K., Helmer, D.B., and Brownell, C.J., "Quantitative planar imaging of turbulent buoyant jet mixing." Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 643, 2010.
- Brownell, C.J., Su, L.K., "Planar laser imaging of differential molecular diffusion in gas-phase turbulent jets." Physics of Fluids, 20 (3), 2008.