Cody J. Brownell, Ph.D.
United States Naval Academy
590 Holloway Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-5042
410 293 6525
Cody J. Brownell is a Professor in the Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering Department at the U.S. Naval Academy. His research interests involve fluid dynamics and optical propagation, including past projects on measurement and prediction of optical turbulence in the atmosphere, high-energy laser effects on aqueous aerosols, and the use of machine learning for assessing laser system performance in turbulent environments. Professor Brownell has also used and/or developed a number of laser and imaging-based techniques for measuring properties of turbulent fluid flows. His recent research has been sponsored by the Office of Naval Research (ONR) and the Joint Directed Energy Transition Office (DE-JTO). At the Naval Academy, Professor Brownell teaches classes on fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and heat transfer as well as elective classes on High Energy Laser Systems and Biological Fluid Dynamics. He regularly mentors undergraduate student researchers, including supervision of six prestigious Trident Scholars. He is the winner of the 2015 Raouf Ali Raouf Award for Excellence in Teaching Engineering. Professor Brownell is the Faculty Chair of the Naval Academy Science and Engineering Conference, a premier undergraduate STEM conference held in Annapolis each fall. He holds a B.S.E. in Mechanical Engineering from Duke University, and M.S. and Ph.D. also in Mechanical Engineering from The Johns Hopkins University.
The Johns Hopkins University, 2008
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering
Dissertation: "Imaging of multi-species fluid mixing in turbulent flows"
The Johns Hopkins University, 2005
Masters of Science, Mechanical Engineering
Duke University, 2002
Bachelors of Science, Mechanical Engineering
The United States Naval Academy
Professor, 2019 - present
Associate Professor, 2013 - 2019
Assistant Professor, 2008 - 2013
Laser interactions with drops and aerosols
Laser heating of structural materials
Optical measurement techniques for fluids
Turbulent free shear flows - wakes jets, mixing layers
Fluid Flow in Biology
High Energy Laser Physics and Applications
- Jellen, C., Nelson, C., Burkhardt, J., and Brownell, C.J., " Hybrid optical turbulence models using machine learning and local measurements." Applied Optics, 62(18), 2023.
- Peralta, A., Nelson, C., and Brownell, C.J., " Seasonal changes in atmospheric optical turbulence in a near maritime environment using turbulence flux measurements." Atmosphere, 17(73), 2022. Featured Article.
- Schork, S., Nelson, C., Burhardt, J., and Brownell, C.J., " Image feature assessment for prediction of atmospheric optical turbulence." 20th International Symposium on Applications of Laser and Imaging Techniques to Fluid Mechanics, Lisbon, Portugal, July 2022.
- Jellen, C., Oakley, M., Nelson, C., Burhardt, J., and Brownell, C.J., " Machine learning informed macro-meteorological models for the near-maritime environment." Applied Optics, 60(11), 2021.
- Peralta, A.M., Nelson, C., and Brownell, C.J., " Characterization of atmospheric optical turbulence using turbulence flux measurements." 23rd Directed Energy Science and Technology Symposium. (Virtual), March 2021.
- Jellen, C., Burhardt, J., Brownell, C.J., and Nelson, C., " Machine learning informed predictor importance measures of environmental parameters in maritime optical turbulence." Applied Optics, 59(21), 2020. Editors Pick.
- Jellen, C., Nelson, C., Brownell, C., Burkhardt, J., and Oakley, M., " Measurement and analysis of atmospheric turbulence in a near-maritime environment." IOP SciNotes, 1(2), 2020.
- Merkel, J., Yee, S., Nelson, C., Jenkins, B., ElBidweihy, H., Joyce, P.J., Brownell, C.J., and Mechtel, D., " High energy laser detection through thermoelectric generators." Optical Engineering, 59 (11), 2020.
- Ewall-Wice, M., Yee, S., DeLawder, K., Montgomery, S.R., Joyce, P.J., Brownell, C.J., and ElBidweihy, H., " Optomechanical actuation of diamagnetically levitated pyrolytic graphite." IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 55(7), 2019.
- Kautzman, M., Jenkins, B., Joyce, P., and Brownell, C.J., " Calibration and testing of distributed fiber optic sensors for detection of high energy radiation." Journal of Directed Energy, 6(3), 2019.
- Valley, S., and Brownell, C.J., " Thermal imaging of rapidly evaporating saltwater drops." 19th International Symposium on Applications of Laser and Imaging Techniques to Fluid Mechanics, Lisbon, Portugal, July 2018.
- Tracey, T.E., and Brownell, C.J., " Evaporation and beam profile measurements on an irradiated water drop." Journal of Directed Energy, 6(3), 2018.
- Valley, S., and Brownell, C.J., " Effects of a high energy NIR laser on salt water drops." Proceedings of the 20th Directed Energy Science & Technology Symposium, Oxnard, CA, Feb 2018.
- Garcia, J., Joyce, P., and Brownell, C.J., " Thermal damage behind HEL irradiated CFRP skin." Journal of Directed Energy, 6(2), 2017.
- Tracey, T.E., and Brownell, C.J., " Laser heating and vaporization of a levitated water drop." Proceedings of the International Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Montreal, Canada, August 2016.
- Egan, B., Brownell, C.J., and Murray, M.M., " Experimental assessment of performance characteristics for pitching flexible foil propulsors." Journal of Fluids and Structures, 67, 2016.
- Guzman, C., Brownell, C.J., and Kommer, E.M., " The magnus effect and the American football." Sports Engineering 19(1), 2016.
- Brownell, C.J., " Measurement of infiltration heat recovery in a test cell with high flow rates." Journal of Building Physics , 38(4), 2015.
- Volino, R.J., Galvin, C.D., and Brownell, C.J., " Effects of unsteady wakes on flow through high pressure turbine passages with and without tip gaps." GT2014-27006, Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo 2014: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition GT2014, Dusseldorf, Germany, June 2014.
- Luznik, L., Brownell, C.J., Snyder, M.R., and Kang, H.S., " The influence of the atmospheric surface layer on turbulent flow downstream of a ship superstructure." Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology , 80 (8), 2013.
- Snyder, M.R., Kang, H.S., Brownell, C.J., and Burks, J., " Validation of ship airwake simulations and investigation of ship airwake impact on rotary wing aircraft." Naval Engineers Journal, 125 (1), 2013.
- Brownell, C.J., Luznik, L., Snyder, M.R., Kang, H.S., and Wilkinson, C.H., " In situ air velocity measurements in the near wake of a ship superstructure." Journal of Aircraft, 49 (5), 2012.
- Brownell, C.J., Luznik, L., Snyder, M.R., and Kang, H.S. “ Velocity measurements in a ship airwake with crosswind.” AIAA Paper 2012-2851, 42nd AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference, New Orleans, LA, June 2012.
- Brownell, C.J., Su, L.K., " Combined planar Rayleigh scattering and planar laser-induced fluorescence measurements of multiple mole fraction fields in a turbulent jet." Measurement Science and Technology, 22, 085402, 2011.
- Su, L.K., Helmer, D.B., and Brownell, C.J., " Quantitative planar imaging of turbulent buoyant jet mixing." Journal of Fluid Mechanics , 643, 2010.
- Brownell, C.J., Su, L.K., " Planar laser imaging of differential molecular diffusion in gas-phase turbulent jets." Physics of Fluids, 20 (3), 2008.