Andrew Neil Smith
Mechanical Engineering Department
United States Naval Academy
590 Holloway Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-5042
Fax (410) 293-3041
University of Virginia (Jan. 96 - May 01)
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Dissertation "Electron Phonon Nonequilibrium During Ultrashort Pulsed Laser Heating"
Advisor: Dr. Pamela M. Norris
Villanova University, (Sept. 88 - May 92)
Bachelors of Science, Mechanical Engineering
Pyroelectric Energy Conversion
Microscale Heat Transfer
Thermal Boundary Resistance
Thermal Conductivity of Thin Films
2004 Pi Tau Sigma USNA Teaching Excellence Award
National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship
Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal
Recent Journal Publications:
- A.N. Smith, B.T. McGlasson, J.S. Bernardes, Heat Generation during the Firing of a Capacitor Based Railgun System”, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 41, pp. 235-240, 2007
- B. Hanrahan, F. Sze, A. Smith and N. Jankowski. "Thermodynamics Cycle Optimization for Pyroelectric Energy Conversion in the Thin Film Regime." International Journal of Energy Research, Vol. 41(13), 2017.
- R.J. Warzoha, A.N. Smith, and M. Harris. "Maximum Resolution of a Probe-Based, Steady-State Thermal Interface Material Characterization Instrument."Journal of Electronic Packaging, Vol. 139(1), 011004, 2017
- A.N. Smith, B.M. Hanrahan, C.J. Neville, and N.R. Jankowski. "Timing A Pulsed Thin Film Pyroelectric Generator For Maximum Power Denisty." Journal of Physics: Conference Series, vol. 773, no. 1, p. 012102. IOP Publishing, 2016. Presented at the 16th International Conference on Micro and Nanotechnology for Power Generation and Energy Conversion Applications, 8 December 2016.
- B. Hanrahan, C. Neville, A.N. Smith, N. Ter‐Gabrielyan, N. Jankowski, and C.M. Waits. "Wireless Power Transmission via Modulated Laser Irradiation of Pyroelectric Thin Films."Advanced Materials Technologies, Vol. 1(9), 2016.
- A.N. Smith, N. Jankowski, and L. Boetler, “Measurement of High Performance Thermal Interfaces using a Reduced Scale Steady-State Tester and Infrared Microscopy.” J. Heat Transfer, Vol. 138(4), 041301, 2016
- A.N. Smith, M.P. Christian, S.F. Firebaugh, G. Cooper and B. Jamieson, “Predicting and Managing Heat Dissipation from a Neural Probe.” Biomedical Microdevices, Vol. 17, pp. 1-9, 2015.
- A.N. Smith, and H. Nochetto,”Laminar Thermally Developing Flow in a Rectangular Channel: Uniform Heat Flux.” Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 50, pp. 1627-1637, 2014