Andrew Neil Smith
Mechanical Engineering Department
United States Naval Academy
590 Holloway Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-5042
Fax (410) 293-3041
University of Virginia (Jan. 96 - May 01)
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Dissertation "Electron Phonon Nonequilibrium During Ultrashort Pulsed Laser Heating"
Advisor: Dr. Pamela M. Norris
Villanova University, (Sept. 88 - May 92)
Bachelors of Science, Mechanical Engineering
Microscale Heat Transfer
Thermal Boundary Resistance
Thermal Conductivity of Thin Films
Civil Engineer Corps Officer, U.S. Navy, (May 92 - Feb. 96)
2004 Pi Tau Sigma USNA Teaching Excellence Award
National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship
Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal
Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal
Recent Journal Publications:
- A.N. Smith, B.T. McGlasson, J.S. Bernardes, Heat Generation during the Firing of a Capacitor Based Railgun System”, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 41, pp. 235-240, 2007
- R. J. Stevens, A. N. Smith, and P. M. Norris, “Signal Analysis and Characterization of Experimental Setup for the Transient Thermoreflectance Technique” Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 77, 084901, 2006
- R. J. Stevens, A. N. Smith, and P. M. Norris, “Measurement of Thermal Boundary Conductance of a Series of Metal-Dielectric Interfaces.” Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 127, pp. 315-322, 2005.
- A. N. Smith, R. L. Ellis, J. S. Bernardes and A. E. Zielinski, “Thermal Management and Resistive Rail Heating of a Large-Scale Naval Electromagnetic Launcher.” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 41, pp. 235-240, 2005.
- A. N. Smith, and J. P. Calame, “Impact of Thin Film Thermophysical Properties on the Thermal Management of Wide-Bandgap Solid State Transistors.” International Journal of Thermophysics, Vol. 25, 409-422, 2004
- A. N. Smith and P. M. Norris, “Microscale Heat Transfer”, Eds. A. Bejan and A.D. Kraus, Heat Transfer Handbook, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., pp. 1309-1357, 2003.