EN275: Ocean Measurement and Analysis
EN275: Ocean Measurement and Analysis (3-0-3)
This course introduces students to the physical characteristics of the world's ocean and coastal regions through the collection and analysis of ocean data. The course utilizes MATLAB for coastal and oceanographic data visualization and manipulation.
- Oceanography: An Invitation to Marine Science
- Apply an understanding of the physical, chemical, and geological characteristics and processes that influence the world’s ocean and coastal regions in order to analyze and describe real, observational data sets.
- Describe the main techniques for taking physical measurements in the ocean and coastal regions.
- Write simple programs and scripts in MATLAB in order to solve engineering problems and analyze oceanographic data.
- Present a comprehensive data processing procedure and the results of an oceanographic data set as a written report and presentation.
- EOE Major
- Seafloor Characteristics and Bathymetry
- Properties of Sea Water
- Ocean Salinities and Temperatures
- Ocean Tides and Currents
- Over-Water Winds and Ocean Waves.
The students are required to make extensive use of MATLAB and various spreadsheets.