Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering
EN441: Ocean Engineering Structures I
EN441: Ocean Engineering Structures I (3-0-3)
Structural design considerations for fixed ocean structures. Design techniques including matrix methods and finite element analysis are introduced. Boundary conditions, wave effects, foundations, loading, and material considerations are studied.
- To analyze indeterminate and determinate structural systems using the direct stiffness method (matrix analysis).
- To determine environmental (wave, current, and wind) loading on structures in the marine environment.
- To incorporate computer-based structural analysis software in the analysis/design of offshore structures.
- To incorporate API design guidelines in the analysis/design of offshore structures.
- EM217, Strengths of Materials
- Introduction to Offshore Structures
- Fundamental of Matrix Algebra
- Direct Stiffness Method – Springs, Trusses, Beams, and Frames
- Environmental Loading – Waves, Wind, Current
- Introduction to API Design
- Introduction to Computer-Based Structural Analysis
- Analysis/Design of Fixed Offshore Platforms