EN457: Hydrofoil and Propeller Design
EN457: Hydrofoil and Propeller Design (3-0-3).
The analysis and design of hydrofoils and marine propellers are presented. Lifting-line and lifting-surface theories are applied to naval devices. Design and towing-tank work supplements recitations.
Class handouts, lecture notes, and selected technical papers.
- Understand basic propeller design concepts and procedures.
- Understanding lifting-line and lifting-surface theories.
- Understand basic hydrofoil design and associated hydrodynamic principles.
- Apply course lectures/principles to the design and/or analysis of a unique propeller and/or hydrofoil shape.
- Understand design optimization principles, as applied to propeller and/or hydrofoil design.
EN353 or Approval of Department Chair
- Resistance and Propulsion Review
- Propeller Design/Sizing Fundamentals
- Lifting-Line Theory
- Lifting-Surface Theory
- Hydrofoil Design Principles and Applications
- Computer-Aided Design of Propellers and Hydrofoils
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Tow-Tank Testing of Propellers and Hydrofoils
Students will apply a variety of computational tools in this course, including (but not limited to) Microsoft Excel, MATLAB, and RHINOCEROS. The course will also discuss the use/implementation of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software.