Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering
EN458: Advanced Marine Vehicles
Catalog Description • Textbook • References • Goals • Prerequisites • Class Topics • Laboratory Projects
EN458: Advanced Marine Vehicles (2-2-3)
Modern watercraft discussed: planing boats, hydrofoil craft, ground-effect machines, and combatant and research submersibles. Analysis and design features are investigated experimentally in the tow-tank, when appropriate.
- Various Technical Articles and Design Reports
- Become familiar with unconventional marine vehicles on a technical basis.
- Be able to extend previously acquired technical knowledge of naval architecture to unconventional vehicles.
- Be able to make use of current technical literature and understand limitations to the current theories, as applied to unconventional vehicles.
- Develop an understanding and appreciation for the type and scope of the work which needs to be done in order to complete a successful model testing program.
- Have sufficient knowledge to be able to design a limited model testing program for an unconventional vehicle. This includes instrument selection, test matrix development, and dynamometry planning.
- EN353, Resistance and Propulsion, AND
- EN455, Seakeeping and Maneuvering
- Vehicle Comparison
- Semi-Displacement Vehicles
- Planing Vehicles
- Planing Boat Dynamics
- Hydrofoil Vehicles
- Hybrid Vehicles
- Surface Effect Vehicles
- Semi-Displacement Vehicle
- Catamaran Hull Testing
- Trimaran Hull Testing
- Planing Boat Model Testing
- Planing Boat Dynamic Instability
- Planing Boat Seakeeping
- Hydrofoil Boat Model Testing
- Hy-Cat Boat Model Testing
- SWATH Seakeeping
- Surface-Effect Boat Model Testing
- Student Project Testing