Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering
Michael G. Morabito, Ph.D.Associate Professor
Director of Naval Architecture Program
- Phone: 410-293-6428
- Fax: 410-293-2219
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Chauvenet 201
- Ph.D., Ocean Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology, 2011
- M.S., Ocean Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic University, 2007
- B.S., Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering, Webb Institute, 2005
- Dept. of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, US Naval Academy
- Associate Professor, 2016 - present
- Assistant Professor, 2011 – 2016
- Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ
- Research Assistant Professor, 2010 – 2011
- Research Engineer, 2007 - 2010
- Adjunct Professor, 2007 – 2010
Professional Memberships & Registration
- Member, Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers(SNAME)
- Vice Admiral Cochrane Award, Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (2015)
- Vice Admiral Cochrane Award, Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (2011)
- Lewis Nixon Award for Best Thesis in Naval Architecture, Webb Institute (2005)
Professional & Community Service
- Program Director, Naval Architecture, 2016 - present
- Faculty Advisors Committee, Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, 2012 - present
- Quality Systems Group, International Towing Tank Conference, 2013 - present
- Trident Committee, USNA Division of Engineering and Weapons, 2014 - present
Research & Publications
- MORABITO, M.G., LORIO, J. “Exploratory Tests of Seaplane Skipping.” 13th International Conference on Fast Sea Transportation, FAST 2015, Washington, D.C., USA.
- MORABITO, M.G. “Prediction of planing hull side forces in yaw using slender body oblique impact theory.” Ocean Engineering. 101 (2015) 47-57
- MORABITO, M.G. “Re-analysis of William Froude’s Studies of Planing Craft.” The Transactions of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects, International Journal of Small Craft Technology. Vol. 157 Part B1 2015.
- MORABITO, M.G., Pavkov, M., Timmins, C. and Beaver, W. “Experiments on Directional Stability of Stepped Planing Hulls.” Chesapeake Power Boat Symposium (May, 2014)
- MORABITO, M.G. “Empirical Equations of Planing Hull Bottom Pressures.” Journal of Ship Research, Vol. 58, No. 4, December 2014, pp. 185-200.
- MORABITO, M.G. and Pavkov, M.E. “Experiments with Stepped Planing Hulls for Special Operations Craft.” The Transactions of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects. Part B – International Journal of Small Craft Technology. Vol. 156, Part B2, 2014.
- RADOJCIC, D. Morabito, M. Simic, A. and Zgradic, A. “Modeling with Regression Analysis and Artificial Neural Networks the Resistance and Trim of Series 50 Experiments with V-Bottom Motor Boats.” Journal of Ship Production and Design, Vol. 30, No. 4, November 2014. pp 153-174
- PAVKOV, M.E. and Morabito, M.G. Experimental Investigation of Trimaran Models in Shallow Water. Journal of Ship Production and Design Vol. 30 No. 2. (February 2014). 66-78.
- MORABITO, M.G. Study of the Two-Dimensional Spray Formed near a Discontinuity using the Helmholtz-Kirchoff Theory of Free Jets. Ocean Engineering 75 (2014) 30-36.
- MORABITO, M.G. Planing in Shallow Water at Critical Speed. Journal of Ship Research Vol. 57 No. 2. (June 2013). 98-111
- MORABITO, M.G. “Re-Analysis of Series 50 Tests of V-Bottom Motor Boats.” Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers Annual Meeting, 2013. (Transactions)
- SAVITSKY, D and MORABITO, M.G. “Origin and Characteristics of the Spray Patterns Generated by Planing Hulls.” Journal of Ship Production and Design, Vol. 27, No. 2.(May 2011) pp63-83
- SAVITSKY, D and MORABITO, M.G. “Surface Wave Contours Associated with the Forebody Wake of Stepped Planing Hulls.” Marine Technology, Volume 47, Number 1, January 2010, pp1-16
- MORABITO, Michael G. “Experimental Investigation of the Lift and Interference of Asymmetric Planing Catamaran Demi-Hulls,” 11th International Conference on Fast Sea Transportation, FAST, Honolulu, HI, September 2011.
- YEN, Timothy, MORABITO, Michael G, IMAS, Len, DZIELSKI, John and DATLA, Raju. “Investigation of Cylinder Planing on a Flat Free Surface,” 11th International Conference on Fast Sea Transportation, FAST, Honolulu, HI, September 2011.
- MORABITO, M.G. and SNODGRASS, J. 2010, “The use of Small Model Testing and Full Scale Trials in the Design of Motor Yachts.” Chesapeake Power Boat Symposium
- MORABITO, M.G. 2006, “The Herreshoff Racing Launch, X.P.D.N.C.” Classic Yacht Symposium