Michael P. Schultz, Ph.D., P.E.
Director of Hydromechanics Lab
- Phone: 410-293-6440
- Fax: 410-293-2219
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rickover 355
- Ph.D., Florida Institute of Technology, 1998
- M.S., Ocean Engineering, Florida Institute of Technology, 1992
- B.S., Ocean Engineering, Florida Institute of Technology, 1990
- Dept of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, U.S. Naval Academy
- Professor, 2010 – present
- Associate Professor, 2004 – 2010
- Assistant Professor, 2000 – 2004
- Visiting Assistant Professor, 1999 – 2000
- Johns Hopkins University, Visiting Professor, 2007 – present
- Princeton University, Visiting Fellow, 2006 – 2007
- General Electric, consultant, conduct hydrodynamic analysis of flow over complex geometries, 2009
- University of Hawaii, consultant, design water tunnel facility, 2000
- Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution, research scientist, conduct turbulence research, 1999
Professional Memberships and Registration
- Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Florida
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, ASME
- American Physical SocietyDivision of Fluid Dynamics
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, AIAA
- USNA nominee for the CASE & Carnegie Foundation U.S. Professor of the Year Award, 2011
- Teaching Excellence Award at USNA, 2010
- Navy Meritorious Civilian Service Medal, 2006 & 2010
- Research Excellence Award at USNA, 2006
- Raouf A. Raouf Award for excellence in teaching engineering at USNA, 2006
- ASME Fluids Engineering Division’s R.T. Knapp Award for the most outstanding original paper in analytical or laboratory research, 2004 & 2011
- Apgar Teaching Award presented for excellence in teaching for a tenure-track professor at USNA, 2004 (Honorable Mention)
- Editorial Board Member for BiofoulingInternational Research Journal, 2003-present
- Thesis Committee Member, Princeton University, Johns Hopkins University, University of New Hampshire
- Panelist for Turbulence Proposal Reviews
- Reviewer for ~20 journals in the fields of fluid mechanics and biofouling
- Session Chair and Session Organizer for ~10 International Conferences
- Ocean Engineering Program Director, 2010-present
- Midshipman Research Project Day – Engineering & Weapons Rep, 2009-present
Professional and Community Service
- Director, Hydromechanics Laboratory, US Naval Academy
- Program Director, Ocean Engineering Program, US Naval Academy, 2010 - present
Research and Publications
- D.T. Squire, C. Morrill-Winter, N. Hutchins, M.P. Schultz, J.C. Klewicki, & I. Marusic (2016), “Comparison of Turbulent Boundary Layers over Smooth and Rough Surfaces up to High Reynolds Numbers,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 795, pp. 210-240.
- M.P. Schultz, J.M. Walker, C.N. Steppe, & K.A. Flack (2015), “Impact of Diatomaceous Biofilms on the Frictional Drag of Fouling-Release Coatings,” Biofouling, Vol. 31, pp. 759-773.
- K.A. Flack & M.P. Schultz (2014), “Roughness Effects on Wall-Bounded Turbulent Flows,” Physics of Fluids, Vol. 26, Art. No. 101305, 18 pp.
- Y.K. Demirel, M. Khorasanchi, O. Turan, A. Incecik, & M.P. Schultz (2014), “A CFD Model for the Frictional Resistance Prediction of Antifouling Coatings,” Ocean Engineering, Vol. 89, pp. 21-31.
- J. M. Walker, K.A. Flack, E. E. Lust, L. Luznik, & M.P. Schultz (2014), “Experimental and Numerical Studies of Blade Roughness and Fouling on Marine Current Turbine Performance,” Renewable Energy, Vol. 66, pp. 257-267.
- M.P. Schultz & K.A. Flack (2013), “Reynolds-Number Scaling of Turbulent Channel Flow,” Physics of Fluids, Vol. 25, Art. No. 025104, 13 pp.
- J.A. Finlay, M.P. Schultz, G. Cone, M.E. Callow, & J.A. Callow (2013), “A Novel Biofilm Channel for Evaluating the Adhesion of Diatoms to Non-Biocidal Coatings,”Biofouling, Vol. 29, pp. 401-411.
- K.A. Flack, M.P. Schultz, & W.B. Rose (2012), “The Onset of Roughness Effects in the Transitionally Rough Regime,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, Vol. 35, pp. 160-167.
- J. Hong, J. Katz, C. Meneveau, & M.P. Schultz (2012), “Coherent Structures and Associated Subgrid-Scale Energy Transfer in a Rough-Wall Turbulent Channel Flow,”Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 712, pp. 92-128.
- J. Hong, J. Katz, & M.P. Schultz (2011), “Near-Wall Turbulence Statistics and Flow Structures over Three-Dimensional Roughness in a Turbulent Channel Flow,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 667, pp. 1-37.
- M.P. Schultz, J.A. Bendick, E.R. Holm, & W.M. Hertel (2011), “Economic Impact of Biofouling on a Naval Surface Ship,”Biofouling, Vol. 27, 87-98.
- R.J. Volino, M.P. Schultz, & K.A. Flack (2011), “Turbulence Structure in a Boundary Layer over Periodic Two-Dimensional and Three-Dimensional Roughness,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 676, pp. 172-190.
- K.A. Flack & M.P. Schultz (2010), “Review of Hydraulic Roughness Scales in the Fully Rough Regime,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering , Vol. 132, Art. No. 041203, 10 pp.
- M.P. Schultz & K.A. Flack (2009), “Turbulent Boundary Layers over a Systematically-Varied Rough Wall,” Physics of Fluids, Vol. 21, Art. No. 015104, 9 pp.
- R.J. Volino, M.P. Schultz, & K.A. Flack (2009), “Turbulence Structure in a Boundary Layer with Two-Dimensional Roughness,”Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 635, pp. 75-101.
- S.C.C. Bailey, M.N. Hultmark, A.J. Smits, & M.P. Schultz (2008), “Azimuthal Structure of Turbulence in High Reynolds Number Pipe Flow,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 615, pp. 121-138.
- K.M. Womack, R.J. Volino, & M.P. Schultz (2008), “Measurements in Film Cooling Flows with Periodic Wakes,”Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 130, Art. No. 041008, 13 pp.
- K.M. Womack, R.J. Volino, & M.P. Schultz (2008), “Combined Effects of Wakes and Jet Pulsing on Film Cooling,” Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 130, Art. No. 041010, 12 pp.
- M.P. Schultz & K.A. Flack (2007), “The Rough-Wall Turbulent Boundary Layer from the Hydraulically Smooth to the Fully Rough Regime,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 580, pp. 381-405.
- M.P. Schultz (2007), "Effects of Coating Roughness and Biofouling on Ship Resistance and Powering," Biofouling, Vol. 23, pp. 331-341.
- K.A. Flack, M.P. Schultz, & J.S. Connelly (2007), “Examination of a Critical Roughness Height for Wall Similarity,” Physics of Fluids, Vol. 19, Art. No. 095104, 9 pp.
- R.J. Volino, M.P. Schultz, & K.A. Flack (2007), “The Turbulence Structure in Rough- and Smooth-Wall Boundary Layers,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 592, pp. 263-293.
- J.S. Connelly, M.P.Schultz, & Flack (2006), "Velocity-Defect Scaling for Turbulent Boundary Layers with a Range of Relative Roughness," Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 40, pp. 188-195.